CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 09, 2003, 12:02 AM

Default Why is my work computer internet connection faster than my home cable?

sponsored links

Why is my work computer internet connection faster than my home cable? First I noticed that when I got to websites, hotmail in particular, that they take a few seconds to open up at home and they are almost instant at work. So I decided to go to dsl reports and do a speed test.

Work: using a T-1 connection download= 1184, upload = 6857
Home: comcast calble internet: download = 1400, upload 300 something

For some reason dsl reports is saying that my home connnection is extremely fast, but it feels faster at my work computer. Anyone know why this is?

ie. my hotmail takes 3-5 seconds to open up once I enter my password at home; at work it takes 1 second. I noticed that other web pages take a little longer to open up at home as well. Thanks in advance
Old Apr 09, 2003, 12:37 AM

the reason for this is that when you are on a cable modem you are acutally sharing with other people on the same line, thus making your cable seem a bit slower than your work. When you are on a dsl or higher connection you aren't sharing with anyone else. It is one deicated line that to you and nobody is sharing from it.

HTH
Old Apr 09, 2003, 12:38 AM
Veteran

As Wopah said, prabally alot of people arn't using your line at work, while the line at your house is.
Old Apr 09, 2003, 12:49 AM

Sounds good, but wouldn't a speed test (like dsl reports) report it for what it actually is? I'm mean if I have a bunch of users on my cable line, wouldn't the test accurately reflect that? or is it just a guesstamite? Thanks
Old Apr 09, 2003, 03:24 AM
Veteran

Yes the report would reflect the contention ratio, I bet if you try the test at different times during the day you will get different results as users come and go and use/free the bandwidth.

Smiffy