CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:02 PM
Veteran

Default Starband Satellite Internet - Using a Router (PLEASE HELP lil bit of reading)

sponsored links

I got Starband a year and a half ago. They said a router wouldnt work. You gotta use a HUB, and Internet Sharing Software, like WinProxy, which promotes Starband, and also sucks. I've was tryin to use the HUB to connect the internet with XP's Internet Sharing Software, which I was successfull when it was between the XP PC (direct internet) and another XP PC. XP to 98SE/ME didnt work.

Then someone here suggested using a router. So I looked it up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starband said this stuff:

"Subject:
Can I link my StarBand satellite modem to a router?

Content:
Networking the StarBand service via a router or other hardware device connected directly to the StarBand satellite modem is expressly forbidden. A Windows-based PC running the StarBand software must be the interface with the StarBand satellite modem as it converts Internet requests into a protocol optimized for satellite-based Internet connectivity. Circumventing this optimization software creates excessive and unauthorized traffic on the StarBand network and may result in a measurable decrease in transmission speed or complete service outage. The StarBand service is intended for Internet connectivity and customer support of a single personal computer connected directly to the StarBand satellite modem. Additional computers, networked in such a way as to utilize the StarBand service and consume additional bandwidth, are not supported by StarBand and may result in service restrictions if the bandwidth usage exceeds permissible levels under the StarBand Acceptable Use Policy. Networking multiple PCs to share access to the StarBand service is done solely at the member's own risk and may invalidate the ability of the StarBand software to function properly. Members choosing to assume this risk may minimize the impact to the StarBand network and risk of improper functioning of the satellite modem by using a product from Ositis Software called WinProxy for StarBand. REMEMBER: Ositis Software is responsible for any networking support needs associated with the use of WinProxy for StarBand software. Help on use of WinProxy for StarBand can be found at: ( url )"

"Subject:
Can I set up a home network with the StarBand satellite modem?

Content:
The StarBand service is intended for Internet connectivity and customer support of a single personal computer connected directly to the StarBand satellite modem. Additional computers, networked in such a way as to utilize the StarBand service and consume additional bandwidth, are not supported by StarBand and may result in service restrictions if the bandwidth usage exceeds permissible levels under the StarBand Acceptable Use Policy. Prior to requesting customer service and technical support for the StarBand software installed on the PC connected to the StarBand satellite modem, it will first be necessary to remove any networking software.

Networking multiple PCs to share access to the StarBand service is done solely at the member's own risk and may invalidate the ability of the StarBand software to function properly. Members who still choose to assume this risk may minimize the impact to the StarBand network and risk of improper functioning of the satellite modem by using a product from Ositis Software called WinProxy for StarBand. REMEMBER: Ositis Software is responsible for any networking support needs associated with the use of WinProxy for StarBand software. Help on use of WinProxy for StarBand can be found at: ***********.ositis.com/english/support/WinProxy3/sp_30_support_page_starband_en.asp

Note: Networking the StarBand service via a router or other hardware device connected directly to the StarBand satellite modem is expressly forbidden. A Windows-based PC running the StarBand software must be the interface with the StarBand satellite modem. The starBand software on the PC converts Internet requests into a protocol optimized for satellite-based Internet connectivity; circumventing this optimization software creates excessive and unauthorized traffic on the StarBand network and may result in a measurable decrease in transmission speed or complete service outage."

Lastly this:

"AUP Enforcement: Excessive Bandwidth Usage
Content:

Excessive Bandwidth Usage FAQs

Q: How do you define excessive usage?

A: We are working very hard to ensure all members are able to enjoy their StarBand experience. As is the case with other Internet service providers, a few members use a large and disproportionate amount of the network. This can have an impact on the StarBand network and the availability and speed of the network for other members. When it does, we will work with the members using an inordinately large percentage of the network bandwidth and help them reduce their level of network usage. As such, there is not a specific usage threshold that is deemed excessive; rather, excessive usage is defined as a pattern of large bandwidth usage to the point of negatively impacting the StarBand network and the experience of other StarBand members.

Q: If there is not a specific threshold, then how will I know if my StarBand use will exceed it?

A: First, this is generally not something to worry about or proactively restrict your usage. Enjoy the service and use it as you had hoped to do so -- barring any activities that would violate the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). A few example of items expressly forbidden are: hosting a Web server, directly connecting the StarBand satellite modem to a router or other device versus a Windows-based PC, and use of automated newsgroup search and retrieve programs. Please review the AUP at ***********.starband.net/acceptableuse.htm for a more comprehensive listing of forbidden activities.

Second, StarBand will inform you via e-mail and then via a phone call if your usage is found to be out of compliance with the AUP and impacting your fellow StarBand members. We will work with you to bring your usage into compliance prior to taking any more stringent steps.

Q: What will StarBand do if my usage is deemed to be excessive?

A: We will send you an e-mail to let you know your usage is excessive and negatively impacting the StarBand network and the experience of other StarBand members. A week later, if your usage is still excessive, we will send you a follow-up e-mail message and call you to make sure you are aware of the situation. We expect that after two notices, you will be aware of what is driving your inordinately high usage and still be able to enjoy your StarBand service while significantly reducing your use of the network.

After these two notices, an additional week of excessive usage will result in a seven-day interruption of your StarBand service. If, after this seven-day service interruption, your usage returns to excessive levels, your repeated violations of the Acceptable Use Policy will result in your service being terminated. We will not allow members with excessive usage to continue impacting other members' StarBand experience."

So I'm looking for some kind of response. Would it be right to use a router to connect XP to 98SE/ME?

Also there most Routers I see are 4 port- I have the 1 PC that connects to the internet - then 4 more, all using ethernet: what would I need? also i could cut back on 1 PC if it ould save some doe.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 02:06 AM
suspended

Half of that post just wasn't necessary, try keeping your question simple.
Overloading it with the entire contents of your ISPs term and conditions just means no-one is going to bother wading through it all.

1) How do you expect Windows XP internet sharing software to run on a 98/ME PC?
2) The ISP recommends using their software because they don't use all the standard net protocols, adding their own 'optimisation' layer over the top.

I didn't bother reading any further, Try putting your question into a couple of sentances.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Sorry. I just didnt know what the stuff meant when I read it so I put it all down.

I think what I need to know is how a router works? Cuzz with the Starband Modem, it needs software and it needs to be configured for that computer. With a Router, would I need to install the software and configure the modem on all the computers, i dont think that would be possible - or Just install it on the "1" Computer, and share the internet with the other PC's. ?? I really dunno how to explain this
Old Apr 17, 2003, 12:30 AM
suspended

Generally all you do i connect each PC to the router and the router to the Modem. Then set up the router & IP addresses on each PC. The router handles the communication with the modem.
However in your case it appears the ISP has their own custom Modem setup that requires their software on your PC. This means you will have problems getting a router to work with that modem.

I can't see why they suggest a Hub over a Router as Hubs can only connect PCs they don't connect to Modems.

Check this networking FAQ ***********.smallnetbuilder.com/FAQ-27-General+Networking-0.php#191 as it covers the setup in more depth
Old May 09, 2009, 08:17 AM

Default Starband Satellite Internet - Using a Router (PLEASE HELP lil bit of reading)

Hi

Generally all you do i connect each PC to the router and the router to the Modem. Then set up the router & IP addresses on each PC. The router handles the communication with the modem and i thank u it is really rocking........

staffingpower.com
sentersoftech.com
Closed Thread