CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:24 PM

Question Home Network Problem

sponsored links

I have Win XP, in my pc, to wich i have a cable modem connected trough USB. I also have a PCI Lancard to share the internet connection with a labtop, also with XP, trough the home networking feature.
The problem is that is if by some reason i restart the pc, the labtop cant connect to the internet, until i restart it too. Anyone knows i can i fix this, because it´s incovinient to have to restart the lab top each time i restart the PC.

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:56 PM
Veteran

That is beyond my limited knowledge of netowrking, but delete this thread and ask in the computer security and networking forum. Those guys helped me immensely when I set up my network.

Or maybe one of the mods would be kind enough to move this there for you?
Old Nov 13, 2002, 08:55 PM
Veteran

You need a router to accomplish what you are trying. No client pc will have internet access without the serving pc booted up. It's well worth the $75 investment just to avoid getting knocked off when the master pc reboots, as well as all the other things it has to offer like hardware firewall and port forwarding.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:26 PM
suspended

I'm going to move this to the security and networking forum for you now.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 01:35 PM

i dont mean that i want to acess the internet form the labtop with the pc shutdowned. the problem is that if i restart the pc, even if it is on, i have to restart the labtop to acess the internet from the labtop again.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 02:37 PM

After the pc is running again on the laptop type WINIPCFG in the run box,then press release all then renew all.That should do it but havent actually tried it ,this will reassign an IP but I highly agree with Smokecover about getting a router.Even a wireless if you can afford it,would work great with the laptop if you move it around the house alot.

Last edited by Tman1966; Nov 14, 2002 at 02:41 PM.