CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows ME
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 27, 2003, 02:45 PM

Unhappy PC Display problems - Help needed!!! [; ; winME]

sponsored links

Hi everyone, and Merry Christmas

I am experiencing some problems, and would like some of you experts out there to help me, or give me a second opinion.

My display on my PC is very dark, especially when viewing photo's. I recently replaced my motherboard to an 'ABIT NF7-S' with nVidia 2 chipset. I use an nVidia TNT2 graphics card 32mb. I have Windows M.E currently installed, but had the same problem in XP.
My monitor is an old 15" IBM 2124. I say 'old' it is approx 6 years old.
I suspect the monitor could be the cause. Am I right?
Red colours look almost BLACK. I have downloaded the latest driver for the graphics card & installed it. All the drivers for the motherboard have been installed too.
I am currently running at 800 x 600 resolution at 16 bit colours. If I put it any higher, then the display simply distorts.
I cannot run certain games any more, as it is either too dark or hurts you're eyes trying to focus.
Any information would be a bonus.
Thank a lot.

Miklos
Old Dec 27, 2003, 03:38 PM
Veteran

miklosnillos,

Merry Xmas

Personally I would say it would be impossible to rule between the graphics card and the monitor, but it is likely to be the monitor.

Depending on if you play games or not, I would say to swap out the graphics card to test as a reasonable one will set you back 50 or so, and then if no joy then do the monitor as well. I say this as the graphics card will not play most high end games anyway and is the cheaper option of the two, but if, like me, minesweeper is your limit of game playing on the PC, then do the monitor first. If you can, borrow a card or monitor to try first of course.

HTH, T.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 03:45 PM

Cheers Tierra!

I'll try and get hold of a monitor. The only game I play is CM4, and according to the recommended requirements, my system should be adequate. But it still is dark, and 'fuzzy', and hurts you're eyes like hell.
I've tried everything barring renewing the monitor, but I will borrow one and see how it goes.

Merry Xmas.
Miklos