CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 95
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 22, 2002, 09:35 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

*BUMP* If it helps out any, going to My Computer and right clicking on it brings up hard drive properties and it says:

LABEL: APTIVA
LOCAL DISK: FAT32

All Im wanting to know is the MAXIMUM size I can go.
Old May 22, 2002, 09:48 PM
suspended

Since you have Win95b (as proved by the fact that your HD is formatted in FAT32) then the 2 gig logical partition limit doesn't apply. So now the only limitation you have is whether your BIOS does LBA translations or not.

Go into the bios and find your HD, see if LBA is available, if you can only select drive type (manufacturer) and cylinders/heads, but no LBA mode then your BIOS doesn't support LBA. In which case the maximum supported drive size is as I said before , 8.4 gig.
However due to drive prices it may be cheaper for you to buy a 20 gig drive rather than looking around for a 10gig one. No matter what size you put in it only the first 8.4 gig will be recognised, no matter how you partition it.

Another thing to try is the Motherboard manufacturer's web page to see if they have an upgrade for your BIOS available. Be very careful, only flash the bios with an approved upgrade specifically for your boards make/model. Flashing the BIOS with the wrong update may permanently kill the bios. With the BIOS upgraded your mobo may then support LBA mode on Harddrives, thus removing the 8.4 gig limit.
Old May 22, 2002, 10:22 PM
Veteran

Umm...just assuming I know how to "go into bios" and all that good stuff...Im a computer rookie kinda so u gotta help me out here. And if I get this new hard drive, do I have to format it and all or can I just plug it up and start saving?
Old May 23, 2002, 02:03 AM
suspended

[b]BIOS[/b]
To enter your BIOS watch the monitor during boot up, there will be a line along the lines of 'press delete to enter setup'. Generally it's the delete key but on some systems it may be a function key.

So when you see the prompt press the appropriate key, this will take you into the BIOS - the Basic Input Output System. A word of warning, this contols your system at the lowest level, altering settings in here can have big consequences, so just move through the menus & find Harddrive set up, take note of all the settings (writting them down is a good idea), check what options are available in the setings, if there is a mode that switches between LBA and cylinders/heads then you know your system can support LBA which is required for drives over 8.4 gig.

[b]Hardware installation:[/b]

Record the details from the sticker on the drive, the numer of cylinders, heads, tracks and sectors.

Shut down your PC
Remove the cover
Ground yourself - even the smallest amount of static electricity can fry components.
Find your existing HD and check the IDE cable (the large flat grey one). there should be a spare connector on it for your new HD. If not buy a new double connector IDE cable, they don't cost much.
You should get an installation sheet with the new drive, this will tell you where pin one is on the drive and where the jumpers are.

[b]jumpers[/b]
Every IDE device can have one of three jumper settings, Master, Slave or cable select. Stay away from cable select as most motherboards don't support it. Each IDE channel can support 2 devices, 1 master and 1 slave. If only one device is on a channel (ie Cable) then it must be the master.
As you are installing a second HD the original drive will already be set to master.
Set the new HD to slave. On the back of the drive will be 6 pins in 3 columns of 2 pins, covering one pair will be a plastic coated metal bridge, this is the 'jumper' , check the installation sheet for the HD to see where to position the jumper to set it to slave.

[b]cables[/b]
Connect the IDE cable to the drive, the coloured stripe on the cable points to pin one on the cable, you need to line it up so that pin 1 on your HD is connected on the side of the IDE cable that has the coloured stripe.
Slide the HD into a spare drive bay & secure with screws.
Attach a power cable (multicoloured cables running from the power supply). If you can't find a spare cable you'll need a 'Y' splitter power cable- again they don't cost much.

[b]set up[/b]
As you have an older BIOS it may not auto detect the new HD, boot up the PC, enter the BIOS and find the Harddrives , On the Primary IDE channel (master) will be your existing HD, in the Primary IDE channel (Slave) position scroll through the device types until you find the manufacturer's name of your new HD, if it's not there select 'user defined'
In the drive settings enter the rquired drive info (the stuff you've copied from the HD's sticker).

Save settings and exit.

Boot up, if windows doesn't recognise the new drive then enter Control Panel, add new hardware, and ad the HD.

[b]Partitions[/b]
You do not have to format the HD as that's done when it's manufactured.
If you want to partiton the drive to create logical drive (ie split the drive into smaller drives) use a partition utility like Partition Magic.

It's not too hard to do yourself if you take care, but if it all looks too much just take the system into your PC shop, they will install the drive and set it up in your O/S, generally for a small fee or for free if you ask nicely.

hth.

Last edited by Darkman; May 23, 2002 at 02:11 AM.
Old May 23, 2002, 10:58 PM
Veteran

Hey,

I think I did what you were talking about, although I didnt see anything that concerned any LBA. I doubt I was in the correct thing but heres what I did.

Upon starting windows I press f1 I think it was called CMOS settings.

CONFIGURATION/SETUP UTILITY

Disk Drives>IDE Primary Channel Master

Type - Auto
Cylinder- 4092
Head- 16
Sector- 63
Size- 2014 MB

Hard disk block mode- auto
advanced PIO mode- auto
hard disk size > 504mB - auto
Hard disk 32 bit access- enabled
cdrom drive DMA mode - disabled.

Thats all I saw at that screen, if thats not what u are talking about, then I guess I need a little more help about getting into BIOS...Sorry if I am making this difficult...
Old May 24, 2002, 10:04 AM
Veteran

*BUMP*