CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 95
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:04 AM
Veteran

Default Too many problems [; ; win95b]

sponsored links

Sorry Im having so many problems guys.

1) On restarts, computer hangs at "loading win 95" screen
2) Some problem causing both IE and netscape to lock up.
3) My system just hung up and I press ctrl del and alt twice (hung up so it restarted). Upon restart I pressed F8 and went to Safe Mode with network support and then the following error came up:

"ERROR: Himem.sys has detected unreliable XMS memory at address 00FD7800

XMS Driver not installed""

What the hell does that mean?

Also after than and proceeding to log into windows, I get a message saying HIMem.sys not found, I should add a line to config.sys that says "C:\WIndows\Himem.sys." Yet when I go to do that, its already there. Heres whats on the config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
d

Does that help out any? Ram shouldnt be a problem, I had 32 mb installed a while back and never had this many problems. Then I upgrade more to 96 and Im just now getting the problems, so its most likely not the RAM. I have a feeling either its a virus or something conflicting with this new roadrunner connection I got.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:51 AM
Veteran

Two things to check...

Did you bother to check whether the himem.sys file actually existed in the c:\Windows directory? The fact that your getting the error 'Himem.sys file not found" means the file may not be there.

If locating the Himem.sys file doesn't solve your problem, it does look like RAM is your problem. The unreliable memory error usually means one of the banks of RAM is failing. Try re-seating or swapping the RAM out.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 01:09 AM

Sting4Life_MB

I had a similar problem, but it was on a Win98 system. When it tells you that you have:

"ERROR: Himem.sys has detected unreliable XMS memory at address 00FD7800 XMS Driver not installed"

The XMS is the "Extended" part of memory.(EMS is "Expanded" part of memory)

This is what you might want to do, it worked for me. Take out any of the memory that you just had installed. Leave the original in there and start it up. If it starts, then the original is good. Just keep addin' one at a time and starting it up, till you get the error to come up again. If you get the error with the original when you first start, try moving it to a different slot and see if it works. Otherwise, just keep addin' the memory back in till you get that error to come up again.

What I'm guessin' is one of your memory sticks has gone bad, or one of the slots for your memory is acting up. With memory, you should make sure you buy the same kind for all your slots and make sure the connectors are the same, if you got gold-plated connectors on the board, make sure your memory is gold-plated also.

What you stated up above was exactly what was happening to a system I worked on. Hopefully this works for you.

HTH

Islasian4Life

Last edited by Islasian4Life; Jun 19, 2002 at 01:16 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 01:09 AM
Veteran

The Himem.sys file is in the windows folder. What do u mean by re-seating?
Old Jun 19, 2002, 01:14 AM

What QWERTY means by re-seating is, take the memory out, then put it back in again, making sure you hear a *snap or *click when the memory is pushed back into it's slot.

Islasian4Life
Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Well guys. The memory upgrade happened almost a year ago. I just got this problem. Now I just got on and didnt get any memory problems or the XMS problem. Thats the first I had seen it when I'd made it start up in safe mode with network support. Im just wondering if I run safe mode with network support if it'll happen again.