CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 95
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:30 PM
Veteran

Default Cant delete icon from desktop [; ; win95b]

sponsored links

I have an icon on my desktop that I cannot delete. I right click it, go to delete (or rename) and this is what it says.

"CANNOT DELETE THOMSON MP3PRO AUDIO PLAYE_____-____:

CANNOT FIND THE SPECIFIED FILE

MAKE SURE YOU SPECIFY THE CORRECT PATH AND FILENAME"

Please note that I do not want to uninstall this program, I just want to clear some icons from the desktop. I think this may be possible to do from the registry but I dont know where to go...
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:11 PM

right click on the icon and make sure read only isn't checked
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:11 PM
Veteran

Is this the exact same system that's been giving all those other problems you've been posting about? Personally, with all the problems you're having I think it's time to re-install the OS.

Anyways...

Try running REGEDIT and doing a search for the exact name of the icon. Delete the registry key that that icon name appears in. You better backup the registry before you modify it.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:13 PM

didn't know about all the other problems but I agree with qwerty. when you have alot of little problems a re-install always does the trick......well not always...lol
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:56 AM
Veteran

Well see I would have been done that but I just got my cable connection last week and technicians came in and installed it. I am scared I will lose important info if I do that...I have the disks, but what if they had to put in information and stuff?
Old Jun 23, 2002, 03:35 AM
Veteran

I can understand that you might lose some settings and stuff but at this point your system is barely working...you really don't have much to lose.
If your cable connection is like everyone elses then the odds are all they did was configure your network and e-mail properties.

Open up the network properties and write down all the settings. Also write down your e-mail properties (server names, login, password, etc) then just re-install the OS.