CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows ME
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 30, 2003, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Thumbs down Virus & how to purge system of it? [Mine; AMD K6 500; winME]

sponsored links

Hi again, I've picked up the I-worm/klez.h virus. I was a silly billy & despite my usual better judgement I opened something that I shouldn't have.
AVG has detected 25 instances of it and they have been sent to the virus vault, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it now.
Anyway, my question is, how do I get rid of the blasted thing?
Steeve.

Last edited by Stevie boy; May 30, 2003 at 12:36 PM.
Old May 30, 2003, 12:51 PM
Veteran

try going over to www.mcafee.com and going to their virus library search for Klez they usually have manual removal instructions. I'm guessing that it might be a bit labourious. I'm not familiar with AVG so i don't know if there's an easier way with thay. HTH
Old May 30, 2003, 02:13 PM
Veteran

Here is [url=********securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.html]Symantec page with Klez removal tool and removal instructions.

Also have a look at [url=********pspl.com/download/cleankh.htm][B]This[/B] page. This PSPL Klez remover looks better than Symantec's.

Last edited by MasterMind; May 30, 2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 30, 2003, 03:56 PM
Veteran

Thanks for your help (both). As I said, I've found & identified it but, I still don't understand the best way to deal with it. It's in this AVG virus vault place, can I delete it from there? I've looked at all the sites refered to me and as I understand them they want to do a similar thing to AVG. I'm getting confused & frustrated now.
Steeve.
Old May 31, 2003, 06:17 AM

Well, I have norton anti virus. This VIRUS VAULT you are describing sounds like the quarantine area of norton. That is where the virus is placed before you delete it. If that is the case, it is safe to delete it from there and be rid of the virus.
Old May 31, 2003, 09:55 AM
Veteran

Thanks, I wasn't sure what it was for. It's my own fault, I re-formatted a couple of weeks back and foolishly hadn't got round to putting the AV stuff back on. I'll just have to find out how to empty the vault now.
Steeve.