CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 03, 2004, 10:10 AM

sponsored links

If XP Sp1 messs you system theres a good chance your using a copy
Old Oct 09, 2004, 06:33 PM
Veteran

Sorry to hijack this post, but how do you tell if your ports are really running at USB2.0? I have SP4 (Win2K) installed, a USB 2.0 flash disk, but I'm not sure if my MB supports USB2.0. IS there any way to tell??
Old Oct 09, 2004, 08:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

The way to tell if your system is enabled for USB2.0, apart from plugging in a USB2.0 device is to go to Device Manager, and click on the + Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch.

It should say somewhere in there "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" or similar, as long as there is reference to "enhanced".

Also, System Information in System Tools will tell you, as well as software like Aida32 and Everest Home Edition etc.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 06:00 PM
Veteran

My Device Manager showed "NEC Enhanced USB Controller" (or similar) but I still didn`t get USB2 performance and I got the (USB 2 device connected to USB1 port) pop-up warning when I plugged in a USB2 TV capture thingy.

Turned out that the USB2 on my MSI mobo doesn`t work properly - no matter what drivers I use. It`s worth checking out, anyone who has an MSI KT3 Ultra ARU with USB1.1 and USB2 built in. I had to install a PCI-USB2 card. Now it works fine

* The user forum at MSI shows that just about everyone with this mobo has serious problems with USB
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-cyberdrive
The content incorporate USB 2.0 32-bit support for EHCI Host Controllers on the Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP operating system (build 2600). Please note that Windows .NET Server and Windows XP SP1a will NOT need this package, because they already contain software support for USB 2.0.

USB 2.0 EHCI Host Controllers Supported

The drivers provided have been tested with the NEC USB 2.0 host controller and the Intel EHCI Host Controller. The hardware IDs of the USB 2.0 host controllers supported by the provided solution are as follows:

PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&REV_01
PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CD

The driver will not install on any other EHCI controllers with hardware IDs different from the ones stated above. Microsoft’s plans regarding support of additional EHCI controllers can be found on ***********.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/bus/USB/default.mspx.

USB 2.0 Hub support

USB 2.0 hubs are supported natively by Windows XP. All hubs that report correct hub class code in their device descriptor will be compatible with the existing USBHUB.SYS driver in Windows XP.

Both packages below need to be installed to support USB 2.0 on windows XP.

USB 2.0 EHCI package
QFE fix for existing USB driver stack on Windows XP

The USB 2.0 EHCI package consists of the following files:

USBEHCI.SYS
HCCOIN.DLL
USB2X.INF
USB2X.CAT

[URL=********tkei.8m.net/USB2_XP_V2_CD.zip]USB 2.0 EHCI Download

The USB EHCI package contains the Enhanced Host Controller mini-port driver. The INF file is responsible for loading the USBEHCI.SYS host controller miniport on a Windows XP system, and the host controller coinstaller (HCCOIN.DLL) is responsible for synchronizing communication between the Enhanced Host Controller and the companion host controllers.

QFE fix for existing USB driver stack on Windows XP

The QFE package is responsible for updating USBPORT.SYS and USBHUB.SYS on Windows XP. Localized versions of this package only differ in terms of the QFE installation user interface (UI), displayed during package installation. Since this package replaces USBPORT.SYS and USBHUB.SYS with updated versions, a reboot is essential.

Installation Directions

Please follow these directions for a smooth installation of the USB 2.0 package.

Both the USB EHCI package and the QFE (described in section 2) must be installed.
Always install the QFE package first. This will prompt for a reboot. Before you reboot, please ensure that you have installed the EHCI Package also. Install the USB 2.0 EHCI package using Plug and Play INF driver installation procedures.
Reboot your machine.

[URL=********tkei.8m.net/Q312370_WXP_SP1_X86_ENU.EXE]QFE Download
It seems that there is nothing to download on any of these pages...
I have been looking for a usb2 fix for a long time, is this really it?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Firstly, you should really start a separate thread, you'll get a lot more replies.

Secondly, I really don't understand what it is you need.

If you are running XP, and you have SP1 or greater installed, then that includes USB 2 support.

Windows 98 does NOT officially support USB 2, so you need the drivers are supplied with the hardware in question.

It's that simple.