CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows ME
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 09, 2003, 06:00 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

sponsored links

Only thing being that I would be surprised if it was the keyboard. It should still reach the end of POST and just beep after that if it was. Even if the bios was set to Halt On All Errors in the keyboard, you would still get the startup with an error message.
Old Aug 09, 2003, 06:18 AM
Veteran

It's not the keyboard but, I just thought it would be better if she gave me all the ancilliaries that went with it, other than me connecting it up with bits & pieces I have lying around.
So, it's not the hard drive or memory, what does that leave? M/B? power supply?
I'm not that technical but I'd like to do it myself, with the aid of this board of course.
Steeve.
Old Aug 09, 2003, 07:06 AM
Veteran

Are your fans spinning when you start-up and does it beep at all? I'd lean towards a bum motherboard myself. If it beeps at start-up count the beeps and check the motherboard's manufactors website for a "translation" of what the beeps mean.
Either way to find replacement parts for an old pc like this isn't going to be easy, at least not new ones. Anybody running a p2 333 is due for an upgrade and this is as good excuse as your going to get............just my 2 cents........
Old Aug 09, 2003, 07:11 AM
Veteran

It gives one beep on start-up and, the fans on the power supply and the processor are both running also, the money for a new one just isn't available at the moment
Steeve.
Old Aug 09, 2003, 12:04 PM
Veteran

here is some info on the beep error code

One beep is good! Everything is ok, that is if you see things on the screen. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMM's and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard are bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on.
Old Aug 09, 2003, 03:25 PM
Veteran

Well, I get the beep but, I don't really see anything on the screen. As for getting another M/B for such an old machine? Maybe getting a cheap second hand PC would be a better option?
Steeve..

Last edited by Stevie boy; Aug 11, 2003 at 04:54 PM.