CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 10, 2003, 08:47 AM

Unhappy restore problem [compaq; presario 5446; win98]

sponsored links

rite here it is my sister asked me to reboot her p.c. so i put in the compaq restore disk cliked on full restore and of it went followed all the onscreen instructions it started to go up 1%2% and so on it got to 42% paused for a moment then went up to 63% and stopped gave me this error message
an error has occured with your cd drive or compact disk (cd) it gives you the option to retry which i clik on but nothing same message over again
please can some one help my sister is going nuts and needs her computer for her kids school work and im getting it in the ear please post here or mail me
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:46 AM

are there any scratches on the disk? do you know for a fact that this disk has worked in the past?

You could see if creating a copy of it makes any difference as I'd expect many copying programs to complain if there is a problem with the CD.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:48 AM

orcus thanks very much for ure reply but just this minute have got it sorted a friend of my has the exact same model and i tried his back up disk and its all sorted there was some little pin sized holes in the disk so that seems to be where the problem lay thanks again also can u tell me how to resize the screen the icons and stuff are all to big she is running windows 98
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:05 AM
Veteran

Right click anywhere on the desktop, click properties, then you want the settings tab. Increase the resolution to one that suits the size of the monitor.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 12:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by eieman [/i]
[B]orcus thanks very much for ure reply but just this minute have got it sorted a friend of my has the exact same model and i tried his back up disk and its all sorted there was some little pin sized holes in the disk so that seems to be where the problem lay thanks again also can u tell me how to resize the screen the icons and stuff are all to big she is running windows 98 [/B]
might be an idea to make a copy of the restore discs
Old Oct 10, 2003, 03:39 PM

gooner, you took the words right out of my mouth - thankfully it wasn't while you were kissing me

That's Meatloaf, not an offer.

eieman, I'm glad you had a friend with the same model, having an exact machine next door can really help with finding where a problem is and I'm sure a backup is already done or on it's way.