CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 19, 2003, 04:15 PM

Thumbs up HD Advice plz [Packard bell; 336hz; win98]

sponsored links

my pc is quite old about 4 yrs and has 366 processor with 6 gig HD and i was wondering if i could upgrade to a bigger Hd (not loads just another 10gig?)

1. is this possible?
2 .easy to do? as the most ive done is install a new dvd writer
3. what cost are we looking at? and is it cost effective or would i be better to forget it and buy a new system which i cant afford at mo?
4. where's best place to buy at best price?

cheers for any info it would be very much appreciated

deano
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:20 AM
Veteran

1) In principle it would be possible to upgrade.
2) In principle (again) its very similar to installing a dvd writer or any other IDE device
3) Cost is a tricky question - you can get a 20Gb hard drive for around 30 quid, you might have a look on ebay as well for a really cheap deal but be aware that you may well pick up a drive near the end of its life that way so its risky.

Now, I say "in principle" a lot because of the age of your motherboard - its [i]possible[/i] that it will be able to recognise a bigger hard disk without you upgrading the BIOS (this can be done by downloading a BIOS upgrade from your mobo manufacturers website, they post instructions too) - which means you will probably have to identify your motherboard make.

If, as you say, you can't afford a new system at the moment then i guess it would be worth a try, theres plenty of people here who can help with BIOS upgrades etc [b]if[/b] it proves necessary - so I say go for it!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:26 AM

virgin san many thx

i'll dig out spec

can you add a second external drive?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:30 AM
Veteran

Do I take it from that question that the DVD writer you added is external then? In which case putting in a hard drive is more complicated than that as it would require you to open the case and stick the drive in, get the cables and jumper settings right. DOn't be put off though, its still very doable - I don't think adding an external HD is really a financial efficient solution for you.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:36 AM
Veteran

I'm gonna disagree with virgan san here, not on the tech. part of it, but the is it worth it part. A new 10 gig hd is expensive when you figure out how much your paying a gig, versus how much you pay for a gig for say 200. Also buying a used 10 gig hd, it will probably be rather old and unless you know the person your buying it from, there is a decent chance of getting ripped. Personally, I'd save your money and buy a new system, when you can afford it, and either make one yourself or have someone else build it for you.

An increase of 4 gigs isn't much, unless your really desperate for space..........my 2 cents............
Old Nov 20, 2003, 04:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by nightheart [/i]
[B]
An increase of 4 gigs isn't much, unless your really desperate for space..........my 2 cents............ [/B]
I would have thought it would be a 10 + 6 upgrade rather than a -6 + 10. That would be my suggestion to deano if you haven't considered that already.

I agree that buying a small HD is less cost effective than buying a big one. Something that the buyer should take into account however (and something that is often overlooked in forums when giving advice) is the fact that if a person only wants 10 Gb and a) sees no need for more in future or b) is planning to upgrade his whole system soon, then buying 200 Gig would be like buying a bulldozer to weed the garden.

Thanks for reiterating my point on the risk of getting old drives "near the end of its life" from ebay.

Last edited by Virgin San; Nov 20, 2003 at 04:12 PM.