CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 02, 2004, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Default Why do i get no dial tone on my laptop? [elonex; savannah; win98]

sponsored links

To start i don't know much about laptops but here goes....at the minute the modem seems to be a plugin pcmcia card with a lead and a box to convert it to a telephone plug.

the system properties shows the modem as being there and working fine but it keeps reporting no dial tone...just so you know there is nothing wrong with the connection cos i'm using it athe moment to write this.

[IMG][img]********hometown.aol.co.uk/Fungusfeet88/Psion.jpg[/img][/IMG]

the box plugs into that which is apparently a modem and ethernet card....the only thing i can think of is that the box says something about ethernet on the back(sorry cant find it at the moment to show) but i'm assured it is infact for a modem (still doubtful though)
Old Feb 02, 2004, 02:00 PM
Veteran

Hi M8, that is a pcmcia modem , are the correct drivers installed for it, the OS you have on the laptop, will not carry the drivers as win2k or Xp does. does the laptop attempt a dial up if you tried using the internet connection wizard?

Last edited by Nuttapper; Feb 02, 2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2004, 02:55 PM
Veteran

havnt tried the internet connection wizard, but when aol tries to dial or i use phone-dialer it just says no dial tone...as for the drivers i've tried d/loading all the ones on psion site and none are suitable, the win98 ones are being used at the minute as i dont have any others.
Old Feb 02, 2004, 04:59 PM
Veteran

[img]********hometown.aol.co.uk/Fungusfeet88/adaptor.jpg[/img]

it says ethernet 10baseT adapter.....will this work with a dial up connection?
Old Feb 02, 2004, 06:17 PM
Veteran

There are a few different GoldCard from Psion, you will need the correct card andcorrect modem cable for it to function correctly, drivers can be found on the Psion website, you do need to register with the serial number of the card .

HTH