CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Data Protection/Compression
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 18, 2004, 07:15 PM

Default cannot move/rename/extract rar file

sponsored links

Hi,

I compressed some of my songs ( about 1 GB ) using winrar a month ago. Now, I cannot move the file (copy/cut and paste - says access is denied, make sure that disk is not full or write protected and that file is not in use) or rename it or apply any attribute changes and worst, I cannot extract it. Looks like some of my precious collections might get lost. Is it possible to atleast recover some of the files ? Please help me out. Thanks in advance. Bye.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Try doing those actions in Safe Mode.

If you want to move, rename or delete etc files that are "in use", then you can use this handy little freeware app called [url=***********.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/fileutil/rightview.htm#moveonb][b]Gipo@MoveOnBoot[/b].
Old Oct 20, 2004, 05:55 PM

Hi Insomniac,

Thanks for your efforts. But I have to admit that I have met with little success. I installed Gipo software, started windows in safe mode and selected my rar file for copying and specified the destination folder and clicked on the start button.

It said, Opeation Aborted -- Access Denied. Ditto for other operations like renaming, moving, deleting ( though I don't want to do this ) etc..

Any other suggestions ? Thanks again.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 06:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

I only have two other suggestions, both freeware, but handy little apps to have regardless of whether they help on this occasion.

The first one is called [url=***********.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/index.php][b]WhoLockMe[/b].

It's only beta, and it doesn't work for Windows 9x or ME, but fine for others.

This will allow you to right-click the file in question, and kill the process so you can delete, open or whatever.

If the file isn't "in use", it will appear as if it's not working and that nothing has happened. It only works if the file is registered as "in use".

The second is called [url=***********.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml][b]Process Explorer[/b].

These basic things are really all I can suggest without having the PC in front of me.

Good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:09 PM

Hi Insomniac,

Sorry to say that none of the above suggested methods worked. I got desperate and formatted my drive so that I could atleast recover some space. Thanks for your efforts. Bye.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:38 PM

You could have tried setting the Temporary Workspace in WinRar settings to a drive other than C:\ with more space on it. A big RAR file needs to create a big workspace folder. Check that your virus killer wasn't scanning into compressed files too. Hopefully there won't be a next time...