CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > DOS
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 10, 2002, 10:48 AM

Default Beep Error Code meaninig [Toshiba; 100CS; dos]

sponsored links

A computer was sent back to the office because upon booting up it said "data error reading drive c....abort, retry or fail..."

I ran scandisk, but my boss turned the thing off and said just to format the hard drive. So i ran format from DOS and it said that track 0 was bad and it was unusable media.

Anyway, i got a DOS bootdisk and booted up from that and started removing files manually, and after i removed many files i rebooted with the boot disk in the floppy drive, and it said the usual starting MS-DOS message but it just stays like that for over 10 minutes.

When i held down the power off button i got the following beep message : 1 long followed by 4 short beeps.

Is my hard drive completely goosed as i suspect? Can i just swap out for another hard drive? Also, i cannot seem to get into the BIOS and would i be able to do anything useful from there? I've tried holding down the usual Function keys, but no joy.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 10, 2002, 02:07 PM
Veteran

Try LOW level format specially designed for the make and model of your HDD. Try manufacturer's web site for such program. Do not use any other LOW level format utility as it may damaged your HDD beyond any repairs.

As far as track bad error is showing up, your HDD is gone. But you can try Disk Manager utility to start re-partitioning your disk. Do it manually and start partition from track 1.
Old May 11, 2002, 01:44 PM

find the bios guide for your bios, e.g award or a ami, or other