CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 23, 2002, 07:16 PM
Veteran

Thumbs down Sony DRU500a dvd+/-rw...horrible, horrible software included

sponsored links

I finally get this thing and find out the software absolutely blows chunks.

The software is called "Veritas - RecordNow."

There is no possible way to burn an image. They have what they call "favorites" which stores an image but that functionality is somewhat NOT included in the software package sony is including with the drive.

Here is what the help menu says:

Saving an image file on your hard drive
RecordNow gives you the option to save "images" of your discs on your hard drive. These image files are automatically added to your list of Favorites and can be used to create new copies of your discs whenever you wish. To learn more about creating a disc from an image file, see Using Favorites.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note This feature is not available in all versions of this product.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To create a disc image:

1: Click Make an Exact Copy from the main menu.
RecordNow automatically opens your recorder drive.

2: Insert the disc you wish to copy into the drive tray.

Note If you wish to use a different disc drive to read your disc, click Change. (See Changing Recorder Drives for more information.)

3: Click Next.
RecordNow reads the contents of your disc.

4: Click the Change button.
The Select another device dialog box appears.

5: Choose Create disc image and add to Favorites from the drop-down list and click OK.
6: Click Next.
7: RecordNow will create an image file on your hard disk. Image files can be very large -- up to 700 MB for CDs and 4.7 GB for DVDs. If RecordNow determines your hard drive does not have enough free space to hold the file, a message will appear asking you to create additional free space.

Note In most cases, the free space must be available on the C:\ partition of your hard drive.

8: After the image is successfully created, a dialog box appears asking you to give the image a meaningful name. Type a name and click OK. The image is added to your list of Favorites.

end quote.

While doing this, at step 4 there is NO change button.
I did copy a PS2 dvd-r to the included blank dvd+rw and everything went smooth. (This is my first dvd-burner so I had to try it out...of course the +rw didn't work in the PS2.)
After the disc was written, it only then asked if I wanted to save the image in favorites. I didn't think to save it then.
So then I copied a cd and it did NOT ask if I wanted to save as a favorite afterwards.

So this is pretty messed up. You can't burn an image that you didn't rip yourself(if you could) and if you want to save an image, you have to burn yourself another copy of a disc you already have(and DVD only)!!

I know there is an upgrade that unlocks some features but I highly doubt you can burn an image not created by the program itself.

So let the buyer beware!!

I surely hope Nero or some other good burning software will support this drive soon. Anyone got some inside info?
Old Oct 23, 2002, 10:01 PM
Veteran

Sounds like you got the crippled version of record now max, which is the "new" version of Prassi Primo. Veritas handles Prassi software now. The full version of "Max" may or may not support the drive yet. Maybe you can get the ball rolling and write to Ahead software, and ask them about support for that drive with Nero.

Oh, and yes, that program sux......

The A05 looking better?
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:15 AM

record now really suck, I have the same problem with it, you should try using disk juggler 4.0, it is an awesome sofware. Do you notice the laser the sony DRU500 is very sentitive, it been giving problem reading xbox dvd-r, I haven't try any ps2 dvd-r yet.

[email]vu30@hotmail.com[/email]
Old Oct 24, 2002, 02:05 PM
Veteran

Thanks for helping.

I did know that Veritas bought Prassi, but I couldn't find any info whatsoever on the Veritas site concerning supported drives. I guess since Primo is only sold as an OEM pack-in for hardware they really don't offer any real help on their site.

Do you know what kind of file types RecordNow Max saves the images as? I may buy the upgrade if its my only choice and if it saves as normal "generic" images(.bin & .iso).

Nero came bundled with my old cd burner and I would really like to use that exclusively. I checked their site and the dru500 is not on their supported devices list. But I figured what the heck, I'll try out the newest demo and maybe get it to think it was a supported sony drive and get it to do some stuff. I installed the demo and it recognizes the drive fully. I know it just grabs the model # from Windows, but it also states all supported formats(dvd+r/rw, dvd-r/rw, cd-r/rw) under the "choose recorder" option. I know it may be glitchy, but it wouldn't hurt to burn a few -rw's and find out if it could burn correctly. Now I just need to get some dvd-rw's to try it out.

I'll try to play around with it tomorrow and maybe send an email to Ahead begging them for full support soon.

Does DJ officially support the drive? I'm not a big DJ fan...always had problems with it back in the DreamCast days.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 02:16 PM
Veteran

post didn't recognise my last reply...^bumping it^
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:28 PM

The softare aside... How do you like the drive?