CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 29, 2002, 04:35 AM
Veteran

Angry Missing CD ROM drive Again [; ; winXP]

sponsored links

Hi Guys

Here's the problem and sorry it's long winded,i've upgraded one of my systems and decided to give the old pc to my son. This system was used for CD Burning etc and nothing else and I never had any problems with it at all,until now.....

The system spec is

PIII 800mhz
512mb SDRam (100mhz)
QDI Advance 9 Mobo (VIA Apollo Pro 133)
Maxtor 20gb HDD (IDE1 Master)
Albatron GF4 MX440 VC
On Board Audio (Enabled)
Aopen 56x CD ROM Drive (IDE2 Master)
D-Link DFE530tx NIC
250watt PSU
Additional Fans Etc
WinXP Pro

The system was transferred from tower case to d/top and a clean install of WinXP (Legit) was installed.

The problem is that every so often the system will loose the CD ROM Drive,checked in My Computer,no icon,device manager,no CD ROM drive,the shortcut icon on the desk shows CD ROM drive with ? (question mark in it)..... Reboot the system and the drive reappears maybe last for a few days and then dissapears again. Only happens if CD ROM drive is in use ie games being played etc.

I've done the following

Checked replaced IDE cable
Updated to latest VIA 4in1 (4.43)
Removed the registry entry for upper/lower filters
Run the CD ROM Drive in PIO Mode & UDMA

This system has not had any CDR/W mastering software installed,no ASPI Layer updates etc...

I read somewhere that I should try disabling the ACPI in BIOS which I did and with this disabled the system will not boot up....? Reenable it and the system boots ok.

Has anybody got any other ideas

Cheers

Smiffy23
Old Oct 29, 2002, 05:52 AM
Veteran

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

-or-

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 06:30 AM
Veteran

Hi Hothi

Forgot to mention in my post that I have uninstalled the IDE Controller and allowed XP to detect and install but still ives problems. Looking around the forums there seems to be a lot of issues with AOpen 56x CD ROM Drives...

Smiffy23
Old Oct 29, 2002, 07:56 AM
Veteran

Ive seen this problem a couple of times on different pcs - and I struggled to sort it out.. final was to format the drive (after backing up all the data onto a spare HDD i had) and installing XP again. Theyve both performed ok so far as this was a good few weeks ago now. Not sure why it did that in the first place!!

Hope it helps.

Baz
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:50 AM
Veteran

try this go into the cmos uninstall the cd rom, shut it down, then remove the cd rom cables and power cable, then bootup then go to device manager remove the drivers if still there

install the cd rom again.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Baz & Hothi

Hi guys thanks for the replies,Baz,hate to do another install but if the other tips don't work i think you're right Hothi,i'll give it a go and post back. I'm also gonna try another CD ROM Drive and put the Aopen in another system to rule out the CD ROM Drive...

Cheers

Smiffy23