CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 09, 2003, 05:07 PM

Default Help this n00b decide on dvd writer please

sponsored links

Hi guys, I want to get a dvd burner to back up xbox, ps2, and movies that I own (and yea, not to pirate them, just to back them up, I work at a reputable retailer and our GM wants us to back up some of the discs in order for n.e.t [training basically] among other things). So, I was looking for a good burner, right now I have a offer on a Sony DW-u10a shipped for $274, I think that's a great price, but the only reason I would go for a dvd+/-rw is because I don't know what to get. The dvds would be used in many of our floor model computers, but besides that, we will also use them in our dvd players. The new employee training dvd player is one of the old "divx" dvd players, so I am worried that will not take dvd+r, that's why I was still considering dvd-r and I also don't want to get dvd-r only because I don't know how well that would work with ps2, xbox, and other dvd player backups. What would you guys do, what format would you choose if you had to, + or -? Thank you for any help.
Old Jun 09, 2003, 06:36 PM

think the new pioneer 106 is out soon and it will be +/- too,maybe cheaper than the sony,the pioneer 105 is a good deal at the moment,
Old Jun 09, 2003, 06:54 PM

well I've been reading up on that one, and its coming out retail at $329 and will have the same speeds as the dw-u10a, I guess pioneer is better in the industry at this point for these type of drives, but still, an extra $50 for reputation while this sony drive has gotten good enough reviews?
Old Jun 09, 2003, 07:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Fadywwf316 [/i]
[B]well I've been reading up on that one, and its coming out retail at $329 and will have the same speeds as the dw-u10a, I guess pioneer is better in the industry at this point for these type of drives, but still, an extra $50 for reputation while this sony drive has gotten good enough reviews? [/B]
I have read that the Pioneer 106 will be about 170-200, some people have them now and want 250+ for them, I would wait until they are widely available then I am sure the price will be the same as the Sony or less.
Old Jun 09, 2003, 08:11 PM

probably, good idea, i hope they are more redily available in the US soon tho, i might just wait for that depending on time constraint.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:54 AM
Veteran

I would go for DVD-R format discs (The RWs are the worst for compatibility in the game systems, generally speaking). Some PS2s read DVD+R but virtually all PS2s will read a quality DVD-R disc. If your XBOX has a Samsung drive then the scenario is the same as the PS2 (some will read + and some won't) if it has one of the other two drives (Philips or Thomson) then it will read both -R and +R equally well (provided that you are using quality media). The other thing is that if you order online -R discs are a bit cheaper than +R discs. For example if you order a 25 pack of Ritek DVD-R from rima.com vs. ordering a 25 pack of Ritek DVD+R from the same site, the DVD-R pack is $7.50 cheaper and if you order in greater quanitity then the difference is a little more.