CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 08, 2003, 06:12 AM

Default Buying a Mac...

sponsored links

I'm getting more and more into Mac. I currently have a very old PC but I am thinking of buying a new computer. I have been thinking about a big case with good fans and probaly 2 Ghz processor (Intel) and a good amount of RAM. I have no clue about the Macs, but would like to know what I can get for a $1,000.00. I was actually thinking about building my own PC, but as mentioned, getting weak for a Mac. Is it possible to build your own Mac? If so what sites should I check out? And how much do you think I would have to spend to get one? If it's not possible to build one, where do I buy it? What OS should I get? Any suggestions for buying a new Mac are welcome! I want good graphics and a fairly good soundcard. I don't ply games, but do some graphics and surf the net a great deal. I have ADSL curretnly and don't even know if it's possible to keep that with a Mac.

And another thing that I am concerned about is the software. Can I get just as good software with the Mac as I can with MS? Or is it to prefer to install Linux?

Tell me and tell me a lot about it!

Oh, I almost forgot to ask.
It should be said that I am NOT looking for a laptop, but a tower machine! And also, what about burning CD's? Is that as easy as with the PC?

Here is what I would buy for my PC:

Motherboard: ASUS P4S333 SIS CHIP FOR P4 478 PIN CPU SUPPORT DDR333 MEMORY

Processor: INTEL Pentium 4 2.4GHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood P478 Processor

Memory: Crucial DDR PC2100 512 MB

Case: Antec SX1240 400W

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy MP3

And then the screen and the HDD. I already have a burner (Plextor) and a CD-ROM (ASUS 52X) that I am happy with, but don't know if they are compatible with Mac.

I am not interesting in Virtual PC since then it wouldn't make any sense to have Mac if I am going to use Windows...
Old May 08, 2003, 09:28 AM

The Mac can't be purchased as new parts and then assembled. You'll need to buy a new or used G4. Check out [url=www.macmall.com]MacMall for the latest prices and specs. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive compared to a PC. But remember, you sometimes get only what you paid for.....
Old May 08, 2003, 09:33 AM

Thanks. That was of big help. Didn't know about that site. What I wonder though, is what the difference is between the iMac and the eMac apart from teh looks.
Old May 08, 2003, 09:36 AM

Oh, and another thing. Am I able to reformat the Macs and install the OS that I want? If so, which is the OS to go with? And I have also heard that 1ghz processor for a Mac is faster than a 1Ghz processor for a PC. So if I want the equivalent to a, let's say, 2Ghz PC processor, what would that be in Mac terms? And what about RAM? Is tht the same? That the Mac meassures it differently?

Thanks and sorry for asking so much, but I have to in order to get a grip... If there was a site with a comparison chart, I would love that!
Old May 08, 2003, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Yes you can build a mac
***********.2khappyware.com/corecrib.html

You have to buy the processor, ram, dvd, and hard drive if you get this

I want to do this my self I am going to save at least 800 bucks if I can scrape up enough from selling my g4 400 Mhz to buy the dual 1.2 processor

Last edited by ps2daddy; May 08, 2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old May 08, 2003, 11:35 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ps2daddy [/i]
[B]Yes you can build a mac
***********.2khappyware.com/corecrib.html

You have to buy the processor, ram, dvd, and hard drive if you get this

I want to do this my self I am going to save at least 800 bucks if I can scape up enough from selling my g4 400 to buy the dual 1.2 processor [/B]
What is the equivalent in PC to your g4 that you are selling?