CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 20, 2002, 02:04 AM
Veteran

Default Weird problem with CD-ROM Reader [FIXED]

sponsored links

OK, I've never run across this problem before, and I'm stumped for a possbile solution. System:

Win98
256 megs of ram
Plextor PX-32TS SCSI reader
Plextor PX-W124TS (12/4/32) SCSI burner
IBM IDE 40 gig hard drive (first ide port)
Pioneer IDE DvD Drive (second ide port)

Problem:
The contents of my Plextor CD-ROM reader (PX-32TS) does not show up in Windows Explorer or in My Computer; however, if I use CDex or EAC, the files are shown in these utilities, and I'm even able to play the tunes. They don't show up in Windows Explorer. When I click on the CD-ROM drive (R), nothing shows up in Explorer even though I have a data or audio disk inserted. If I insert an audio disk, nothing. If I insert a program disk like Office, nothing happends, and the files can't be viewed with Windows Explorer.

Things I've tried:
1. I used a boot floopy with SCSI DOS drivers, and the drive is working properly in DOS mode, as data and audio CD's are visable using the DIR command.
2. ASPI check reports no errors, using version 4.60(1021).
3. I've deleted the CD-ROM drive in question, and had Windows re-install it when it rebooted with no sucess. I even tried a different drive letter than R.
4. Auto insert notification is turned on, and I've used TweakUI and checked the boxes to enable CD's to be played automatically.
5. Other programs like Clone and DiskDupe (from Plextor) are able to see the files, and I'm even able to make an image of the CD in this drive.
6. I've looked in the registry for NoDriveTypeAutoRun, and made sure is set to 0x00000095

HELP!

Last edited by Camel Toe; Feb 02, 2002 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2002, 04:47 AM
Veteran

Did this prob pop up on its own or was it preceeded by something

Does the pc detect both scsi devices ok when pc boots up

Does cdrom show up in the device manager

Dont know if it is impossible for it to have anything to do with the scsi devices so I would plug them into another pc along with controller to eliminate them from the problem

Then i'd delete the startup aplication files from windows and re install OS
Old Jan 20, 2002, 05:40 AM

Reading about what worked, my conclusion is that the drives are working and it seems to be windows which is giving you the problem. However, you are working with SCSI. With SCSI devices there are some things you might want to check.

First, which ID do the drives have? p.e. SCSI controller is 0, then plexburner should be set at 2,3 or 4 and the reader a higher number. Also, put a jumper at the terminator at the back of the plexreader-drive. Remove the jumper at the terminator at the back of the plexburner (if there is any).
Are there any external scsi devices connected with the card (p.e. scanner???).
Old Jan 20, 2002, 01:07 PM
Veteran

Hey old M8 & Newbie!
(See if we can fix that up, there is a Topic in the AT forum for it)
I have seen this prob here before, but for the life of me I cannot remember the solution.
It's an odd & simple one and if memory serves me, it may have been Inertia that had the answer before.

For what it's worth here's my thoughts...I would first suspect it being a corrupt VXD file, e.g. CDFS.vxd or one that has been added by an installation e.g. SCSI1hlp.vxd that needs to be renamed. Could even be a .dll but I would look more to the vxd's in the IoSubSys Folder
Perhaps Windows File Checker could help here.

Another thing would be do you have a Virtual CD Drive installed? If so can it.
Also boot to Safe Mode and look in Device Manager to see if there are any odd ball "Ghost Drivers" installed that should not be there.

[img]***********.cdrom-guide.com/ubb/4MoDeRaToRs/SiGnAtUrE_ImAgEs/hoss1.gif[/img]
Old Jan 20, 2002, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Hey Hoss buddy! How's it going?

First off, I have a half-breed pc - I have only 2 IDE devices, the IBM 40 gig on primary channel as master with no slave, and a Pioneer DvD on the secondary channel as master with no slave.

Termination:
The reader is #3 and terminated, while the burner is #2 and is not terminated. They are on a 50 pin cable. They are detected at boot, and like I said, they work in DOS mode just fine.

System files:
I have run the system checker and it reports no errors in the system files.

I have no clue when this happend. I know just 2 weeks ago, I have to re-install some Office 2k files, and it worked then. I have even tried to roll back my system files using the scanreg /restore option at the DOS prompt, and same results.

Nothing has changed for hardware, as I have not even opened up the case in 5 or 6 months.

btw Hoss, if you can get rid of that Newbie status, I'll buy you a

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm hoping that [b]Inertia[/b] might have some thoughts on this bazzar problem.
Old Jan 20, 2002, 03:18 PM
Veteran

Hoss M8, if I had the answer before, I can't remember what it was.

Camel Toe, although your problem involves a SCSI CD-ROM, the problem described in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at [url=********support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q235859][b]DMA CD-ROM Drive Icon Does Not Appear in Windows Explorer (Q235859)[/b] is similar to the symptoms that you describe. If it's a device conflict that is causing the problem, perhaps this could be causing your SCSI drive to disappear.

Since Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Win 98, it's probably worth a try to see if the fix will work for you.