CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:23 PM

Exclamation Which CD Rom Writer software support long file names?

sponsored links

Hello,
I bought recently a CD-Rom Writer , I started to do my first CDR, the software : Roxio, easy CD creator ver 5
I was upset that it doesn't support the long file name, as in windows XP!
it ask me to reduce the names of the files , which is for me not possible, as I put a long description of the file to make it easy for me to know what for is this file.
some friends suggested the software (nero), but again others told me that althoug it support longer names , but not as the windows do.
my question is:
which CD-Rom writer software support the long file names exactly as windows XP do?
Thank you
appologize my bad english
Old Apr 29, 2002, 04:28 AM
Veteran

How long a file names are we talking?? You might want to give CD Mate a try, as I believe it supports romeo file format, although I am not sure the Max number of characters... I believe that in Nero the max is 31.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 04:56 PM

I want the same which the windows XP allows for the file name
Old Apr 29, 2002, 08:14 PM
Veteran

As celtic says, the only one ive seen is CD mate
Old Apr 29, 2002, 08:40 PM
Veteran

How long does WinXP support? Only a rhetorical question actually. If you don't know the answer, how do you know you require file names of that length? Joliet file system will allow up to 64 characters. Nero and many other burnware will support this format.

BTW, Windows does not limit the filename length the file allocation table does. Both FAT32 and NTFS will allow a 255 character filename and FAT32 will allow an additional 3 characters for the extension. NTFS will allow a longer extension as long as the full filename is 255 characters. However, in both cases the pathname is considered part of the filename so the entire 255 characters can only be used in the root directory.