CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 15, 2002, 12:56 PM

Default does version 1 us ps2 work with neo 2.2/GS1.99d and dvdr?

sponsored links

I keep seeing messages where people say "if you have a version 4 or 5 ps2 you can boot with GS2.01...." I haven't seen anyone mention booting dvdr games with neo 2.2 and gameshark 2.01 on a version 1. Is this because it works without a problem, or because version 4 and 5 ps2s are the only ones this works on?

I have a version1 US ps2 with a neo 2.2, and am using devil may cry demo and a gameshark 2 with a version number of 1.99d. I tried using the armored core trick, dave mirra and straight double swap and nothing happens. I'm trying to load metal gear solid 2 image I downloaded off the net and it was recorded on the pioneer dvd-r disc that came with my pioneer a03.

I just got my drive, so maybe there is something I have to do (ie upgrade firmware) before it will burn games properly? The game disc reads fine in my dvd reader drive in my cpu, although that probably doesn't mean anything.

Please someone help, I don't want to be the only person in the world who actually shelled out the cash for a dvd burner only to not be able to play dvdr games on my ps2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 15, 2002, 01:47 PM

load up GS2 version 1.99 while holding the reset button
press eject
put in your DMC demo
wait 10 seconds.
choose start games
with/without codes
release the reset button
swap with you dvdr backups
Old Mar 15, 2002, 06:59 PM

I tried that method and it didnt work. Maybe I did something incorrect, here's what I do as exactly as I can describe

1. Power off the ps2 and then boot it up holding the reset button

2. After GS2 loads I press eject and swap in the DMC demo (after I do this, I can hear the game spinning and starting to load, and after 4-5 seconds I hear a click and then the cd stops and then starts up again a second later. The disc doesnt stop again after that).

3. Then I press start game and then with/without codes.

4. Then I let go of the power button (at this point I have heard people say the DMC demo should have stopped spinning, but mine is still spinning when the tray opens, maybe this is a key to what is gong wrong?).

5. Then I swap in my copy (in this case metal gear solid 2 burned with pioneer dvr a03 on pioneer general purpose media) and let the tray close by itself.

6. Press x as tray closes

After doing this the ps2 just stays frozen on the gameshark screen. The ps2 appears to make one attempt to boot the game, then clicks off and the disk stops spinning. There has got to be something I am doing to not make this work, but for the life of me I cant figure it out. I don't want to wast another blank until I figure out for sure. Other than this everything works fine, cdr backups and dvd originals boot perfectly......Thanks for your help whoever fixes this problem....

Last edited by deniro-s; Mar 15, 2002 at 07:15 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 07:04 PM
Banned

I think this mean your Gamesharks 2 version is not 1.99 then.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 07:05 PM
Banned

Oh, by the way, just go to option at the Gamesharks main screen, and look at the version. And when you say you let the tray goes, did you mean that you hit the eject button to close it or let it close it by it self?

Last edited by neokeyrulerz; Mar 15, 2002 at 07:08 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 07:45 PM

I read the version number off the interior of the cd. When you hold it up to the light it has pressend into it around the hold for the cd drive Gameshark 2 US 1.99d or something to that effect, but it is definately 1.99d. I use the ea swap (holding down reset and releasing) to boot the dvdr, so the last time the door closes it does it on its own.