CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:49 AM

Default is my ps2 chipped?

sponsored links

i recently was given a ps2 console for money owed lol..it had no leads or anything..luckily i have some spare av leads and a pwer lead and it switched on just fine..but i have no ps2/ps1 games being a dedicated xbox man.

so i borrowed a ps1 game and ps2 game and backed them both up

the backed up ps1 game played first time so i assumed the ps2 was chipped. or is it normal practice for a non modchipped ps2 to play backed up ps1 games.

so i then tried the backed up ps2 game and i get please insert a proper playstation or playstation 2 format disk. i tried burning to dvd-r..dvd+r and dvd+r bitset to dvd-rom all have the same please insert correct playstation disk.
with dvd movies the screen goes black and doesnt go any further (i dont have dvd playback kit)

so

1. is there any software that will identify the chip or wether there is a chip just in case i have to do a special keypress to activate the chip.
2. is it normal for a ps2 to play backed up ps1 games

i have taken the ps2 to bits to clean the lense in case it was that and to see if its chipped and cant see anything..its a lot more complicated to strip down than xbox..

or any advice would be much appreciated..there are a few ps2 games that i wouldnt mind playing that you cant get on xbox (well untill they come out with a ps2 emu lol) like resident evils etc..

ty in advance and sorry for being a complete ps2 n00b

Last edited by hetster; Sep 28, 2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:54 PM

sounds to me like u have one of the very first old modchips which can play cdr backups but not dvd backups. i duno the name but its outdated but hey atleast u can do something.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:21 PM

How did you backup the ps2 game? Its not like the ps1 that you can just straight copy.