CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 03, 2002, 12:45 PM

Default Knife Trick - How not to break those tabs & easy knife to make

sponsored links

For all those who are going to be preforming surgery on their ps2 to perform the ol' knife trick (as posted on cousin fizz's page) - there is an easy way to remove the face plate without breaking the tabs.

When you open the CD tray (at least for my v1 ps2), there is a small screw which basically holds in a rod that ejects the tray. Remove the screw and you will have clean access to one of the tabs. Use a toothpick, small screwdriver - hell anything and pop out the tab on that side. The other side will come out pretty easy once you have that side out. I did this putting no pressure whatsover on the tabs - not even coming close to bending them. Pretty easy - btw, an entire knife swap job including making the tool takes about 15 min and is damn easy.

For the knife, print out a copy of the knife on cousin fizz's page so it's the exact size of a cred card. Remeber those AOL disks? They've been coming in DVD cases lately. Those cases are made of just the sort of plastic you need baby! take your printout, trace it on the case, and cut it with a pair of sissors and you got the perfect knife to do the job - made of plastic too not harm your pin inside.

SoakingWetCat
Old May 03, 2002, 12:47 PM

Oh - almost forgot. Make sure you put the screw back!
Old May 03, 2002, 06:23 PM
Veteran

In the beginning I never knew about this BUT I didn't break the tabs either. Then I put the cover back on since I have a modchip but I took off the cover once again so I could do the 'knife trick' from time to time and broke the tabs that time.

I've helped others with the tabs and haven't had any problems but most of us have broken them... just wish we would have known about this sooner, oh well it's no big deal really.

Thanks for the info though, newbies will like the fact that they won't have to break those tabs....... (thanks for the tool help too) Take care......

((I'll put this on the site, at the top of the page if you don't mind.))

********cousinfizz.4mg.com

Last edited by CousinFizz; May 03, 2002 at 06:25 PM.
Old May 03, 2002, 08:25 PM

hey cousinfizz, how do i make that knife tool? do i just print out that page and make it the right size of that picture.
Old May 04, 2002, 06:30 AM
Veteran

Yes, that is correct. It is the right size... Print it cut it out and place it on the plastic and draw an outline and cut it out. That should do it for you. cya......
Old May 04, 2002, 02:40 PM

mmmkay bad english for me...tihihi
i have visited your site but i dont understund how to remove that face tray...or whatever you mean...

The Ps logo rigth....how? lots of words dont I dont understund...

have a picture for help?