CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Audio CDs & MP3
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 23, 2002, 02:48 PM

Default Nero and my audio cd

sponsored links

I usually burn my audio cd with nero. I have a sony 10/4/32. Everything works fine, the only thing I don't like is that the quality of the trebble is not there. I don't convert the mp3 to wave before recording, I just select my mp3 and let nero do the job. The base sound good it just that my treble is not enough. Is there a setting for this before recording? I notice other people recording the trebble or the high range are much better than mine. Got any ideas?
Old Jan 23, 2002, 04:26 PM
suspended

Now let's do this experiment:

Download CDex from ***********.cdex.n3.net/ and decode your MP3s to WAVs first before burning. Listen to the burned CD to see if you hear any improvement.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 05:08 PM

Nero will allow you to EQ the tracks - just be careful of clipping if you're going to be too over zealous with it.. Nero has several presets, but my own personal world of paranoia tells me they're set a bit too high above the 0db level, so I have set up a couple of my own which are slightly more subtle and certainly a bit closer to 0db - that is, don't be too afraid of lowering a band or two *below* this mark, if you want a *relative* effect in another range - in your case the high's... Save your user defined eq "shapes" for future use...

It will allow you to apply the same EQ over all the tracks in your session, and perhaps normalise will help you too - again, apply normalise over all of the tracks (if that is not stating the bloody obvious!!)

I use cross-fade (4 frames) between tracks - just be sure when you do this to select track TWO to the last track, or Nero will try to CF BEFORE the 1st track (if it's been selected)....

Of course, the source quality of the mp3's is crucial, as no matter how much general speculation there is about it, you cannot resample higher quality into one of these, and conversion to wav will not increase quality (although some decoders do this better than others....) As mentioned, you can however edit sound effects such as eq.

Certainly try other software, but given Nero is a high quality product, capable of OTF burning from mp3's, I'd either source higher quality mp3's, or use the tools available to tweak the sound...
Old Jan 23, 2002, 09:04 PM

Default How do get to these settings?

Thanks..those are good info. How do I get to all these EQ settings for my tracks that I want to record?
Old Jan 23, 2002, 09:30 PM

Use Track Properties and your ears!

You can select all tracks using shift key etc, and modify all with the same eq, or you can eq one at a time - probably preferable if you have mp3's from different sources and of differing quality..

Just remember the clipping issue. Nero's pretty tolerant, but don't push the 0db too far, man... Remember, you can shape your eq 'below' 0db, but again, don't be over zealous as you may finish up with "quiet" tracks.... Make it a fairly shallow curve, basically.. Nero will allow you to preview the effect before burning..

My suggestion is to eq each track separately (for the reasons explained above), then normalise over the whole of them. The two effects will be applied simultaneously on burning, and a good suggestion is *not* to add any more effects than these two. Too many effects can cause too much digital dirt which may be audible in the final product.

If further effects of any kind are deemed necessary, probably best to manipulate your mp3's *outside* of Nero, before the burn. There are many references to products that can do this in these forums...

Bottom line / good working rule is not to apply too many of Nero's effects at once. As they're applied in the burn process and cannot be layered on to the tracks individually, best not to apply more than two before burning.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 12:11 AM
Veteran

Lightbulb

You should not have to EQ an MP3 which is encoded from a professionally produced song. If the MP3s are encoded properly they should convert to Audio CD tracks almost exactly as the original CD track. You must also be very careful when normalizing and EQ the same track since they both can raise the volume level. While niether process by itself may cause clipping the combination of the two process could cause the maximum volume to go above 0dB and clip. In addition the 16 bit round-offs from more than one process can cause unwanted artifacts.

This doesn't mean that EQ should never be apllied before burning, but usually is not necessary and is detrimental to a song that a producer and engineer carefully EQ'd already. It should be a last resort and used primarily where the song is not professionally mastered, like a recording of a live peerformance or for playback on a walkman or other player which lacks EQ controls and needs the sound balanced for the cheap headphones or speakers (PC playback could fit in this category).

Have you auditioned the CD's you burned on a good HiFi stereo? Maybe the treble is just missing from your playback equipment. Regardless of the software used for the decoding and decompression the resulting sound should be the same. While there are many MP3 encoders which are free to use their own encoding strategy, once encoding there is only one way to decode an MP3. Since MP3s are losey compressed some audio content is discarded. However the remaining content is what all decoders will have to decompress, and the resulting wave should sound exactly like the MP3.

There is a possibility that the burner and or media causes the results to sound differently. The laser strength and the reflectivity of the media could be contributing factors. In fact Plextors new buners will incorporate technology to adjust the laser power to address this problem.