CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Audio CDs & MP3
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 23, 2002, 01:13 PM

Default Stereo or Joint Stereo!!!??

sponsored links

When Ripping an Audio CD to MP3 which is Best one to Save As---Stereo 44.....Htz or Joint Stereo 44.....Htz. What is the difference between them Please. At moment I Rip as Stereo, so gets copied from hard Disk as Stereo. Thanks.
yours,Dennis.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 01:56 PM
Veteran

Exclamation

Using the Joint Stereo option will reduce the file size. It eliminates encoding similar frequencies that are common to both channels, based on the concept that this is imperceptable. This may or may not be the case, as listeners' preceptions varies. I would recommend that unless you are seriously restricted in hard disk space or you are targeting the MP3 for a portable player with limited storage capacity (like a memory card player), that you avoid using joint stereo.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 03:39 PM

Thank you KeyMaster for your quick reply. I will stick to my intuition n keep to 'Stereo'. Most of my Albums n Singles are on CDRW anyway. Only keep about 45 Albums on my D: drive which is 20Gbt large so lots of room there.
Cheers and catch you later. yours, dennis
Old Jan 23, 2002, 09:29 PM

So the real question for me is: How will two files compare qualitywise, one encoded as stereo and the other as joint stereo, but with other parameters adjusted to yield the same file size?
Old Jan 23, 2002, 10:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by fullautonerd [/i]
[B]So the real question for me is: How will two files compare qualitywise, one encoded as stereo and the other as joint stereo, but with other parameters adjusted to yield the same file size? [/B]
This will be a trade-off. The joint stereo MP3 could lose some of it's stereo imaging but gain some additional audio information. You would have to make a decision on this based on your own prefernce and the particular song in question. If there was a simpler answer the encoders wouldn't provide the options. For this reason it's probably safer to stick with a bitrate your satisfied with and not trying to introduce an additional unknown, without auditioning the file both ways.

Last edited by Keymaster; Jan 23, 2002 at 10:33 PM.