CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:52 PM

Default bios settings question... can i change these?

sponsored links

i was in the bios area looking for info about my vid card and i noticed a few things:

-in the 'Advance' tab, the CPU speed can be changed from 450mhz (what mine is at) up to 700mhz... what will changing this do? does this just tell me that my mobo will allow up to a 700mhz processor?

-also in the 'advance' tab, os/2 on board memory >64M... it was disabled. if i have over 64m ram, should this be 'enabled'?

-again in the 'advance' tab under the 'chip config' sub menu, there was an option to change 'graphics apeture' from 64m (what it's at now) to up to 256. what is this telling me?

thanks,
Deo
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:01 PM
Veteran

Please don't change anything from the above.

Changing CPU clock can be extremely dangerous as it may broke down along with your Mainboard. People do it often with a good cooling fan(s). Not recommended by any processor manufacturer.

If you have IBM OS2 installed then >64 setting comes into picture.

Graphic Aperture Size - A setting often found in a system's BIOS setup, AGP aperature size is the amount of system memory reserved for an AGP graphics board.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:09 PM
Veteran

1. Proberly is for manually setting the correct speed of your cpu so i would'nt touch this.
2.Leave disabled
3.The graphics aperature is the amount of system RAM the graphics card can use for textures it is reccomended to sett it not any higher then half the amount of system RAM you have.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:13 PM

thanks for the replies... ok, not touching the settings!

one other question, though: someone in another thread mentioned that i can go into bios and find out what type vid card i can upgrade to. where exactly in bios will tell me this?

Deo
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:21 PM
Veteran

Nope... not possible. BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System of your computer. Its like a basic engine to start your machine. You need third party software like [url=***********.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra]SiS Soft Sandra You can then test your system with it and find out different parameters of hardware installed.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:36 PM

gotcha... thanks.

i did install AIDA 32 and under motherboard it says Asus P3B-F. it also told me what i already knew... my vid card is ATI Tech RAGE 128 GL AGP. someone mentioned to me in another thread that i just need to know that it's AGP in order to find a better vid card to install. is that really all the info i need? where can i find out what AGP vid card i can install for an improvement.

thanks for all the help guys! i'm just a non-tech person trying to play a few vid games on my pc

deo
Closed Thread