CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Mac OS / OSX
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:29 PM

Default OS9 Installation

sponsored links

When i installed Jaguar or Panther (Cant remember) OS 9 and classic were lost. I was wondering how to install OS9 but keep OSX also. When i put in the OS 9 cd, the installer inside requires OS9 to run, so im stuck I read somewhere to go look at apples forums but i cant find it so i posted here.
If it helps i am now running Tiger.

Also I need it in basic step-by-step form.
Old Sep 01, 2005, 03:51 AM

Hate to say it mate, but from 10.3 onwards, there is no support for OS 9 or "classic". Waiting to see if some nice hack finds a way to emulate it but until somebody with loads of free time gets round to it, no OS 9 for anyone using panther and beyond. I still use OS 9 as my mac wont handle OS X. would like to see some support for it continue but i'm not holding my breath. I'll have a look around for an emulator. if i find one, i'll post back.

yoshi
Old Sep 01, 2005, 01:22 PM

thnx, i appreciate it.
Old Sep 03, 2005, 05:09 PM

You got it all wrong, panther still supports OS9. What you should've done is install OS9 first, once there you go ahead and use the OSX CD so it recognizes the older OS. If you installed OSX first then you're screwed, either delete Panther so you can have both or stay as you are.
Old Sep 03, 2005, 06:25 PM

I dont want to go through the trouble of backing up all my stuff.
Ill just wait for a way to emulate OS9 (If it can be done)
Old Sep 04, 2005, 02:04 AM

Now that I remember, there might be a way to install OS9, all you have to do is run the OS9 CD before Panther starts up:

First, put the OS9 CD in your DVD-ROM and restart your computer, then, before it starts up again, press and hold the letter C on your keyboard until the install menu appears (holding C at start-up will force the computer to run whatever is on your DVD-ROM first, allowing you to access the CD without Panther interfering). After that follow the instructions as normal.

Now, if that fails, you can always use the OS from the CD, but it would be a hassle having to wait for it to load.