CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 15, 2003, 03:52 PM
Veteran

Question Magnet wire...how thin is too thin?

sponsored links

I wanna get some magnet wire in for doing the cd/dvd controller points on V1 - V3's and was wondering what gauge to get. The wire will run 6" at the most.

34 awg seems to be hard to find, so I'm considering 36 or 38.
Anyone had any problems with them?
And, is all magnet wire enamelled?
Old Aug 16, 2003, 05:22 PM
Veteran

Radio shack sells a multi-pack of 32, 34, 36 gauge enamel wire, you can try those....personally, 30 gauge kynar is fine for me on the cd/dvd controller points on those versions, just gotta use a magnifying glass and stay steady...if you can't pull it off like that, cut up a pop can and use that to keep the legs from gettin bridged.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 03:06 PM
Veteran

I've done my personal V1 PS2 with 30 awg kynar. It took forever to do those points and I really wasn't happy with how sturdy the connections were. I need something a little thinner to get a good enough amount of solder surrounding it.

The 3 pack at radio crap is showing, 22, 26 & 30 awg...I'll just have to keep my eye on ebay.

Great idea about the soda can...and it's probably even ESD safe.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 08:24 PM
Veteran

barracuda, if you go to radio shack, u may be able to find this multi-pack i was talking about...

I've seen it there for sure with the wire guages i specified...

It's not even coming up on their site?

BTW, if u tin the tip of the wire really well 1st, say 30 gauge, and flux the pin on the cd/dvd controller generously, then u should get a really secure bond by touching the iron to the top of the wire while laying it on the pin....give it a few harsh tugs (not too hash, lol) to make sure...After u get all good tight bonds on the controller points, hot glue the hell out of it, the bonds won't ever move!

Also, using the cut up soda can never fails and u should never bridge those points again.