CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 09, 2003, 09:05 AM
Veteran

Default Using an old machine as a router to share internet conections etc

sponsored links

Hi,

I currently have 2 main computers which share an internet connection through "windows internet connection sharing"

I am considering getting a very old apple mac or pc to use as a router.

What would I need to make this work and whats the best, most secure and stable way?

Ive heard Linus is the best way, can that be run off a mac?

I have no idea how to set up Linux, the only experiance ive had is with windows and a little os9.

All I want is for this small box to be on 24/7 sharing the internet connection and maybe acting as a firewall.

Many Thanks

Ps. Ive just seen somwhere about a print server. whats a print server and how could I benefit from setting one up aswell?
Old Feb 09, 2003, 09:19 AM
Veteran

If you can get something of pentium grade use that & put Win2k on it.
You just install the modem on it & network it to the others. You will need to enable ICS as before.
You will only need a monitor for it during setup.

Print server is a similar idea. Just install the printer on your router pc & share it. You will be able to print to it from both the other pcs. Advantage is that the pc that its connected to will always be on.
You can also get a hardware version that you attatch the printer to that will connect directly to the network.
Old Feb 09, 2003, 09:55 AM
Veteran

Richskie, cheers for the advise mate.

is it the same sort of idea with a mac based computer? i know that setting it up will be slightly different but does the mac os have the same sort of features for connection sharing?

i only ask becuase i may be buying a power mac 133mhz desktop which should do the job quite well.

cheers
Old Feb 09, 2003, 12:11 PM
Veteran

No idea.
Old Feb 09, 2003, 12:28 PM
Veteran

have no idea, but i think networking a mac with two pc's might not be the best idea, as already a win98 networked to NT's causes problems...
Old Mar 19, 2003, 05:21 PM
Veteran

Cant really help with your problem as Ive never even used a mac.

But you can get Linux for it yellowdog linux.