CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 19, 2002, 06:15 PM

Default only verbatim reliable on some ps2s with messiah?

sponsored links

is there a rule of thumb as to why some types of media wont be reliable on messiah chipped ps2s?.

is it the version of the ps2 or the chip or is it on how well the chip was fitted?

thanks

oh and im new so hi
Old May 19, 2002, 06:51 PM
Veteran

Hi!!!

The only ' rule of thumb ' to media on the PS2 seems to be the better the brand then the better the results...

Verbatim are spot on, Datasafe are spot on.... there are SOOOOO many brands out there now that all I can say is TRY IT!!

You also will find that your PS2 might like a certain media but your mates will spit it out like its some cheap rubbish... NO PS2 IS THE SAME!! or so it seems!!
The version of PS2 seems to make a slight difference due to laser versions... I personally wouldn't say the mod chip install would make a difference as it would either work or not... i.e. if it was a bad install then no brand would work....

Hope that helps.. ( probably not!! lol )

Mike ( Spagboll ) ..
Old May 19, 2002, 07:05 PM

nice one, ta

seems even when your not paying for it properly you still get what you pay for
Old May 19, 2002, 07:09 PM
Veteran

lol... so true!!

Pay that little bit more for your media and you'll reap the benefits.. Don't buy cheap discs.. you'll get crappy burns and more than normal noise from your PS2 as the laser has to work harder to read them.. i.e. GTA3 on crappy media sounds AWFUL!!! ( this game access's the disc constantly ) on decent media its a hell of a lot better...

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old May 19, 2002, 09:20 PM
Veteran

It's not modchip dependent. There are 3 things that come into play.

1) The reflective properties on the disc (Verbatium, Apple, etc. do this very well!)

2) How much wear and tear has been put on the laser (usually due to disc that do not reflect the laser well)

3) Model of the PS2. I think V1-3, V4, and V5-6 have different laser units (so 3 different ones).
Old May 19, 2002, 10:31 PM

simply dont use cheap unbranded discs, I found that black-bottomed discs work great as well