CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 10, 2003, 09:50 AM

Question Win XP professional questions

sponsored links

I'm getting a new DELL for work & it has WinXP professional installed. I currently use Win2000 & have never used WinXP so I have some questions about WinXP. Here they are:

1. I thought I've read somewhere that there is some sort of rollback feature within WinXP. In other words where you can have the computer go back to how it was at a certain date. Does XP have this feature or will I need to get software to do this (i.e. GoBack, PQ Drive Image, etc.)

2 Does XP Pro have any kind of built in firewall software? Or should I get a 3rd party product like Norton or ZoneAlarm?

3. Does XP Pro have any kind of remote accessibility/function so I can access this work computer from home.

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:16 AM
Veteran

1. Yes, System Restore
2. Yes.
3. Yes, Remote Desktop (Terminal Services)
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:33 AM
suspended

As regards Q2 then yes you really should disable the firewall and install a better one. Sygate, Zone Alarm, Kerio, Outpost and others all offer a FREE version and are far superior to the inbuilt XP version. You will find a lot more info on these in the security forum.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 03:06 PM

Default remote software

Thanks for answering my questions. For the remote capability, would I be better off going with a software package like 'PCAnywhere' or is the built-in WinXP version just as good?
Old Apr 15, 2003, 01:13 AM

I think both pc's must have xp on it to use remote assistance.But im not sure.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 02:28 AM
Veteran

Any PC client running 98/98se/ME/2000 can remotely access a Windows XP desktop. Just put the Windows XP install CD into the client machine and install the Remote Desktop Client applet.