CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:38 AM

Thumbs up Continued..."Can You Plan Backups on an Unmodified XBOX? -> yes

sponsored links

hey guys, i read a post the other day where several users were telling a noob that it wasn't possible to play backups on an unmodified xbox, while i normally would agree with most of you, there is a way to do it and (unless you use xbox live) this method is much cheaper and more stable if you're like me and carry your xbox around alot (chip comes loose, etc) There's a way to flash your onboard tsop without ever using a modchip. It's kind of complicated but, if you have even basic knowledge of linux and are daring enough to take apart your xbox and mess around with it you'll be able to load evolution-x from you xbox with no mod-chip ever needed! Here's what you need:
1 - Computer running linux, any distro will work but i will recommend mandrake cause it's the most readily available/user friendly
2 - Xbox with two jumpers soldered (or you can electrical tape wire or a piece of solder on them because you only have to have them jumpered for about 3-8mins) to solder the jumpers, go here ->***********.xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop.php
3 - 007 Agent under fire (the retail one, not a burner copy)
4 - You need a file called gamesaves.tar.gz, it's nowhere to be found on the web, but go to irc and check out the #xbox-linux channel, someone there will probably have it

There's alot of tutorials about this out there, so i'll make this short and sweet.
(1) Plug your xbox harddrive into your computer running linux(using the swap method).
(2) Replace the save game partition on the xbox drive with the one you downloaded (gamesaves.tar.gz)
(3) Start up the xbox with 007 and load the save file
(4) Check to see if linux is running off your xbox by typing ******** 192.168.0.64 from your browser (with the xbox on your network or connect xbox to pc with crossover cable)
(5) telnet to 192.168.0.64, then type “cd ../../media/E/UDATA/4541000d/000000000000/raincoat”.. Once here, type: “./raincoat -p bios.bin” *both without quotes!*.

Voila! your origional xbox tsop is now flashed with evo-x bios without ever using a modchip (or memory card/compiling of linux kernel)

From here, you can use a standard method of installing evo-x (i'd recommend slayer's auto install if you're a noob, you can get slayer's right here - www.biteable.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Sweet huh, just saved yourself $60 on a modchip, and if you did it right it should only take you 2-3 hours

tx
-johnbox
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:52 AM
Veteran

This is old news. If you don't want to play xbox live, then it is worth to save that $60.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:08 AM
Veteran

indeed this has been around for quite a while.