CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:54 AM

Default Seeking help with USB 2.0 in XP

sponsored links

First off I know there's already a thread for this but it doesn't seem to address my specific issue and people in there recomend starting a new one for new questions.

Here's my situation

1) I have an external hard drive with usb 2.0 software.
2) I know the hardrive works because I just tested it on someone elses computer running windows 95.
3) When I try to run the hardrive on my computer (compaq, laptor, recently bought, xp) it doesn't work.
4) The device manager say's it has no drivers for this device.
5) Trying to take the find them online option says there's no drivers.
6) Finding them online manually delivered a driver supposed to work with service pack 1 (I have service pack 2 already installed.).
7) Trying to install that driver didn't work as it said I already had a more recent service pack.

This leaves me with no driver, no way to access my external hardrive with my computer and apparently no way to install the driver myself short of some how uninstalling service pack 2, installing service pack 1 and then maybe the driver followed by reinstalling service pack 2.

I was wondering if anyone could offer an easier solution to my problem?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:36 PM
Veteran

sp2 should already have the required drivers, its most prob 95 that has the prob.

Cant you install 98 instead.

colin.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I think I tried that, installed a set of drivers for usb hdd windows 98 anyway doesn't seem to have helped. Your right about SP2 having the drivers but this is an older hard disk and its still delivering the no drivers found message. I have a newer one that works so I know the SP2 drivers were installed but I need both these drives to back up my computer as they're smaller than the comps hard disk.