CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 18, 2003, 04:57 PM

Default Can you play your PS2 online with Satellite internet?

sponsored links

Hi,
I live way out in the ghetto (ok, the country, in a town with a population of 103) and DSL/Cable isn't available out here that I know of (well I know Cable isnt, I doubt DSL is)-- So I was considering getting Satellite Broadband Internet, in which you point a dish to the southern sky, etc etc.

Does anyone know if I could play my PS2 online with it? I play Madden 2003 with my 56k, but I have to travel to my sisters house to play SOCOM online with her cable.

Appreciate any info,
Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 06:16 PM
Veteran

I would imagine so since its just like normal cable internet.. What are the Ping times though since it has to travel through the atmosphere twice??

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Jun 18, 2003, 06:42 PM

the upstream for satellite internet is 56k = your going to have some problems...

being that a satellite dish only receives data and does not transmit whenever your ps2 needs to send a packet to the server it would be over a 56k phone line. not good, you might be able to connect to socom, but you will be laggy.

on the upside, for web surfing you download speed will be fine.

Old Jun 18, 2003, 07:11 PM
Veteran

Upload only 56k.. You sure? Was convinced it was a damn sight quicker than that since he was getting Broadband internet.. Oh well!

BT Satellite is 150kbps Upload and 500kbps Download.. Thats UK though.

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Jun 18, 2003, 07:27 PM

I was looking at 2 way satellite, but I didnt know if there was an option on the Playstation 2 that would let me use Satellite?

It really, REALLY stinks being out in the country. It's not fair.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 07:49 PM
Veteran

Sure you can:
but visit the web site to read the rest of it:

" Secondly, since you have a router, you need to make sure it can provide port forwarding. Most routers that support Network Address Translation (NAT) or IP Masquerading can do this, but there are a few exceptions. Consult your router's manual for details. Port forwarding can also be called 'Destination NAT.'

Third, you need to set up a local network and assign your PS2 an IP address on it. Each computer on your local network needs to have its own IP address. The address can be assigned by your router via DHCP, or you can configure the addresses manually. If you have a small network (and it sounds like you do), I'd recommend manually configuring your addresses. Most routers will use addresses in the 192.168.x.x range for internal networks. For example's sake, we'll say that we have this configuration:

Router's Internal Address: 192.168.0.1
Windows 98SE Machine: 192.160.0.10
Playstation 2: 192.168.0.11

Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address: 192.168.0.255
Gateway Address: 192.168.0.1

Now, here's how NAT works. Your router will receive an IP address from your service provider. This is known as the router's External Address. This address may be different every time you connect, depending on the policies of your service provider. We're not really concerned about what the address is, but you should verify your router is actually being assigned one. As an example, we'll say the service provider assigned the address 10.29.49.199. This is the address the internet will see your data coming from. The router will 'translate' or 'masquerade' packets from your 192.168.x.x network to show as if they were coming from 10.29.49.199.

When you connect to a SOCOM server, it thinks you're coming from 10.29.49.199. When these servers want to send you game information, they will send their packets to 10.29.49.199 via TCP ports in the range of 10070-10080. The problem is, 10.29.49.199 is not the PS2's address. So, your PS2 never receives the response packets, and you get your "Failed to Connect" error messages.

How do we fix this? It's pretty simple, really. Your router needs to be instructed to 'forward' any packets it receives on TCP ports 10070-10080 to your PS2's internal network address, 192.168.0.11. For this, you'll need to consult the manual of your router as each different make has different ways to achieve this.

Once your router is configured to translate outgoing packets, and redirect incoming packets to the correct local address, you will have completed the bidirectional flow of data that is required to play SOCOM (and other networkable PS2 games)."

********multiplayergamers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 135