CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 21, 2002, 08:44 AM

Default Second hard drive in Windows XP

sponsored links

On my old PC I had a primary hard drive and a secondary hard drive. Drive C was primary, drive D was secondary. I also had a CDRW as drive E and DVD as drive F.

A shop built me a new PC and set the primary driive as C, CDRW as D, DVD as E and second hard drive now as F.

Why is the new hard drive F and not D?
What happens to second hard drive if I format my C drive and reinstall XP?
Will the second drive be there? Will it be set as D or still as F?

Please help!

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2002, 09:13 AM
Veteran

WinXP does not reorder the drive letters automatically as per previous versions of Windows.

However it is easy to reorder the letters manually to achieve what you are after.

Unfortunately I don't have XP in the office to be precise.

Hopefully someone has the exact location of the utility.

I had a C:\ and D:\ with my DVD as E:\ and Burner as F:\

I moved the DVD to Y:\ and the Burner to Z:\ then I moved my 2nd HDD partition 1 to E:\ , Partition 2 to F:\ and finally the DVD to G:\ and the Burner to H:\

No need to re-format - just find the utility.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 09:22 AM

Thanks
What I mean though is will the hard drive be in Windows if I format the C drive? I don't want to have to use a utility to find it. I don't care what letter it is. There is a partition on it.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 09:50 AM
Veteran

Yes - the 2nd HDD has already been identified in the BIOS.

Also the Partitions are set.

If you have WinXP already on your C:\ then personally I wouldn't format and re-install.

Problems ?
Old Jun 21, 2002, 12:20 PM

Like KremmenUK said no need to format your drive.
When you reinstall WinXP either as a repair or a fresh install then your secondary harddrive will still be present and all files intact.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 02:40 PM
Veteran

Windows NT/2K/XP write a id to the drive that tells Windows it is C: / D: or whatever. If you reinstall XP the second harddrive should still be F:
However by using the disk management console (Start/run [B]diskmgmt.msc[/B]) you can change the drive letters to what you want.
The exception to this is your boot drive (ie C: ) & any drives that have pagefiles on them (though you can just remove them while you rename the drive)

DOS (ie Win9x) used to call the first primary partition c: & then allocate any primary partitions on a 2nd or 3rd drive.
Then the secondary partitions on the 1st drive followed by the 2nd & 3rd.
Then any removable devices such as cd-roms (hope that makes sense).