CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 19, 2003, 07:57 PM

Default laser ribbon question

sponsored links

hi i'm trying to replace my laser. do i have to take the ribbon off the laser and put it onto the new one? how does it work? do i need a new ribbon for my laser? any tips on installing lasers will be greatly appreciated. thank you
Old Mar 20, 2003, 02:36 AM
Veteran

Just take the ribbon out of the socket on the laser and put it back into the new laser. You don't need a new ribbon mate.

To get the ribbon out of the socket:- You'll notice a slightly different coloured piece of plastic on the socket, you need to pull this piece of plastic out from the socket. It comes out about 2mm. This unclamps the ribbon cable. Pull the cable out of the old laser. Make sure that the plastic is pulled out on the new laser and push the ribbon in so that most of the shiny contacts disappear into the socket. Push the plastic back into the socket so that it sits flush. Give the ribbon a slight wiggle and pull, if its firm then its right.

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:38 AM

spagball, i installed the laser correctly but when i try to boot up the ps2 and it reads the disc, it makes funny sounds and won't read it. should the little screw that goes on the left side of the laser be tight or loose? i don't think i did everything correctly...
Old Mar 21, 2003, 05:24 AM
Veteran

The little screw is a height adjustdment screw. Normally its adjusted so that the tip of it rides on the slider rail. Try to have it so the gap between the slider rail and the laser is about 1mm.

Was it a brand new laser that you've fitted? Just curious as to whether it had the solder blobs on it that need removing.....

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:06 PM

yes it is a brand new laser, how would i remove the solder blobs? thank you so much spagboll you da man
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:52 PM
Veteran

If you look at the laser unit itself there should be two blobs of solder on the gold coloured circuit. These will need removing with a soldering iron so that you end up with 4 shiny pads. Basically the solder is shorting together the pads.

Take a look at these instructions:- ***********.kanection.co.uk/PS2%20Laser%20Instructions.pdf

If you look at the second picture you should be able to make out the 4 silver pads. Normally on a brand new laser there is 2 blobs of solder on these. Remove those blobs!!

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...