CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 18, 2003, 02:17 PM

Default switching hard drives - linux newbie

sponsored links

Hi! I've decided that I want to learn linux. I've got 2 hard drives currently installed on my computer. Both drives are NTFS and right now it's running Win2k Pro. Anyhow, since I have a 3rd hard drive on hand, is it possible for me to unplug and take out both hard drives from my PC and pop in my other hard drive in and have linux on it? And after I'm done playing with linux, I can take out the linux drive out and put back in my windows ntfs drives?
I'm totally new with and I don't want to do dual boot due to lack of space and possible trouble. Any suggestions or tips to keep in my mind? Would I need any boot floppies when installing the OS? My computer can't boot up directly from a cd as it's too old? Also Redhat or Mandrake?
Thanx in advance
Old Aug 18, 2003, 03:04 PM

It would be much easier if you just installed the third HD and dual booted your OSes. Most Linux distro's come with a dual booter called LILO. If not, there are other utilities out there to customize how you want to boot your comp.

Oh, wait a minute. I just read the part about you not wanting to dual boot (yeah, I should really read the whole post before talking )

If you choose to purchase RH or drake, the kit will come with boot floppies. If you're downloading, then there should either be seperate images to put on floppy for booting, or the CD will have a built in utility to turn a floppy into a bootable installation.

There is another option though. Linux doesn't require a lot of space (even with a GUI) so conceivably, you can repartition one of your drives that you already have installed and put Linux on one of thoes.