CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:56 AM

Default Does anyone know what this is?

sponsored links

I downloaded some software from Kazaa (D*D copy plus) and it downloaded fine. When I went to ‘my shared folder’ to open software, it had a strange icon symbol. This icon is like the Winrar icon, but has a yellow arrow pointing upwards through the middle of it. Then when I went to open the software package with Winrar, it would not open and it does nothing. Then, when I tried to delete the software an error message came up saying ‘Access denied…..etc’ and hence it can not be deleted. Does anyone know what is going on? Have I infected my PC with some nasty virus? What is this strange Winrar icon?
Thanks,
Old Nov 24, 2003, 09:13 AM
Veteran

It sounds like a WinRar self extracting file or "SFX" file. The icon is normal but that doesn't mean what the file contains isn't a trojan or something similar. Don't you scan your files before you open them?

BTW it is possible that someone began uploading the file from you and that is why you can't delete it. Have you turned Kazaa off including exiting it from the systray icon? You can't delete a file that is being used by Kazaa.

Last edited by Harry O; Nov 24, 2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 09:15 AM
Veteran

What file extension does this software have?

Never used P2P software but sounds like maybe someone was downloading it from your PC, hence the Up arrow, when you tried to delete it, did Kazaa show any movement?

HTH, T.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 09:38 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Harry O [/i]
[B]It sounds like a WinRar self extracting file or "SFX" file. The icon is normal but that doesn't mean what the file contains isn't a trojan or something similar. Don't you scan your files before you open them?

BTW it is possible that someone began uploading the file from you and that is why you can't delete it. Have you turned Kazaa off including exiting it from the systray icon? You can't delete a file that is being used by Kazaa. [/B]
Thanks for the info Harry. I did scan the file for viruses before trying to open and it gave the all clear! But I can not delete this program hence my worry. I have definately turned off Kazaa, but still I can do nothing with it. Do you have any more ideas? Do you know any good software that would identify a trojan?
Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:14 PM

I would either try a command prompt and deleting it from there, logging on as admin if this is windows XP or 2000 or booting into safe mode and deleting it.

In that order is probably easiest and I'm sure you can delete stuff that windows doesn't want you to from a prompt (as far as my memory serves me)