CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 31, 2002, 10:59 PM

Question linux maxtor controller card (adapter card) [; ; linux]

sponsored links

i have just decided to open my mind and give linux a try. im so tired of windows xp i could puke! i have a question about compatability with a contoller card i have made by maxtor. actually i think its a promise card. thats what the bios on the card says. anyways i went to redhats website and checked for comopatability and it is empty. i checked maxtors website and it doesnt say anything reguarding this. so i thought someone out there could save me some time and give me some advise or answers. promise says that i must not use there site for info because my card didnt come in a promise box and that it could have been modified.

i did search this site for recent conversations reguarding my problems and i didnt find anything. FYI

when i tried to install linux it doesnt find any devices as far as hard drives when i go to make the format. also if there is any advice on dual booting xp and linux i would greatly appriciate it. i have done the research but if anyone out there has any personel experience they could share with me it would be helpful.

freemp3boycottriaa

thanks
Old Sep 01, 2002, 12:42 AM
Veteran

When Linux cant even see your controller card and do anything with it, you are saying Windows XP is making your puke ?

Most likely if you dont see any info on the Redhat site, may be a simple case of that it doesnt support (or fully support) the controller card, if this your main controller card in your PC ?
Old Sep 01, 2002, 02:22 AM

Have a search on Google or [url=***********.google.com/linux]Google Linux. Its possible that if there isn't official support for any device that some kind soul has modified something to make an unofficial driver
Old Sep 01, 2002, 04:47 AM
suspended

Moving to Drivers forum.
Old Sep 01, 2002, 01:36 PM

Question promise tx2 and linux

windows xp recognizes my contoller card as a scsii device. so does my bios. it goes way beyond my understanding as far as hardware and manufacturer suport for drivers. dont worry windows doesnt do a perfect job either "duffy90210". neither does my bios for that matter. this really sucks for me so far. i have found only complicated bull**** for fixes. this isnt nessisaraly linuxes fault. the manufacturer from what i have been reading is the one not being helpfull (promise). what i was hoping was for someone outhere to prove im an idiot and there is no need for a fix and i have just been doing something wrong.