CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:45 PM

Question XP free space error [; ; winXP]

sponsored links

I'm having some problems with my XP SP1 system. I partitioned my C: drive as 4GB, and there's about 1.5GB of free space on the drive. About a week ago, I keep on getting the XP Low Disk SPace warning to run Disk Clean Up (this is usually after I've used the computer for 1+ hr). When I get the error message about free space, I check my drive C: space and it shows 0KB free...but if I reboot the system, then it'll show the normal 1.5GB free. This XP free space error keeps on occuring if I use the computer for more than an hour. It's not the temp files because I set Internet temp and System Temp to my Drive F: .... I did an index of files based on size on Drive C:, and it shows that when I get 0KB free on Drive C:, the file "trace.log" in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WMI is about 1.38GB. Upon reboot however, the file trace.log would shrink and I would get my 1.5GB of free space back. I've tried windows updating/ virus scanning / adware removal but nothing is working. Here's a screenshot of the trace.log when I get the XP free space error message.

***********.geocities.com/huongphu23/logfile.jpg

Please help me solve this problem. Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:50 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

You really need to set the partition bigger on C rather than 4 GB regardless.

Which partition has your swap file?

Do you have any recovery programs or system restore on the C drive?

Check and empty a folder in your C drive called 'prefetch'. This file is like a cache that XP uses to keep track of things everytime you boot up or use a program.

Personally, I think you are going about this all wrong!
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:11 AM
Veteran

***********.tweakxp.com/tweak1302.aspx
Old Feb 13, 2004, 09:44 AM
Veteran

Agreed with Inso, and 4 gb is to small for XP. Technically it isnt, but with the updates that cutting it. I would relocate your page (swap) file to a different drive
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mr Snatcher [/i]
[B]Agreed with Inso, and 4 gb is to small for XP. Technically it isnt, but with the updates that cutting it. I would relocate your page (swap) file to a different drive [/B]
Agreed, 4GB is too small for XP. Expecially with the SWAP FILES and SYSTEM RESTORE feature. It reserves a lot HD space for System Restore.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the reply, I've got plenty of space w/ C: drive being 4GB. I install applications on drive D: , and i set swap file to my drive J: (2nd hard drive). no, prefetch is not a problem. I don't have a system recover program (like system restore) enabled. No matter how big I set my C: partition, when the free space error comes up, the table.log file would grow to fill all free space on drive C:...weird huh?