CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 23, 2002, 06:48 PM

Question w2kpro error code 31 - can't load drivers

sponsored links

I've had w2kpro for some months now and yesterday my Acer 652P-0XX CD-R was missing on my machine. I opened sysmngr and it said that windows couldn't run the necessary drivers for this unit. When I uninstall the CD-R and run autodetect it apperantly finds the files in windows/inf and reinstall it. Then I boot and still it gives the same error [Code 31] without specifying just what drivers is missing or not functioning.

My CD-R has CDROM.SYS, REDBOOK.SYS and STORPROP.SYS as drivers, I tried to delete them from SYSTEM and SYSTEM32 map for new drivers from inf, but the same error occurs. Tonight I installed a Mitsumi USB CD-RW and the same error goes here after w2k seemingly detects it and installs the drivers.

My machine has an Aopen motherboard with an Intel 450 P3 processor.
My graphics card is TNT2 and my soundcard is Soundblaster Live.

I tried to boot with w2k CD, but startup doesn't run the setup, my only success so far is to boot with my old W98 cd, but I can only install DOS, and it can't detect my HD. So short of reformatting there doesn't seem to be any way out of this problem.

I hope someone has a suggestion for a solution here.
Old May 25, 2002, 12:25 AM
suspended

Run regedit, backup the registry, find this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} , delete upper and lower filter entries, check Device Manager and if you still see the CD drive then you need to remove it, reboot.