CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 02, 2002, 03:07 AM
Veteran

Question assistance with transferring a vBB to a new server??

sponsored links

hey all ... I am trying to move my vBB from one server to another but unfortunately, my host does NOT support SSH/Telnet. Damn, wish I had paid attention to that when I signed up.

Anyway, the server is paid for for the next year so no looking back now. I need to transfer over everything ... forums, posts, members, etc ... the whole package as-is. I have phpMyAdmin and the host has a Control Panel, but that's it.

There is an import and export for the site but all it seems to do is import the files, not the DB. Please help if you can as this is driving me nucking futs!

I should add that my host's tech support replied "I don't know if that's possible without Telnet/SSH."

Thanx in advance.

Last edited by 420; Nov 02, 2002 at 03:38 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2002, 02:39 PM

The main part for a forum (or any other database driven site) is the MySQL database.

Go into phpMyAdmin on your old host and download a MySQL dump of the database (look for export option and select structure and data). Once you have this, log into phpMyAdmin on your new host and restore the database data by uploading the MySQL dump.

You will have to create an empty DB first but the upload will take care of creating all the tables and populating it.

Next we need to move the files over. As you mention, with SSH this is easy... won't the hosts do the SSH work for you (old host: tar it up and gzip it, newhost: wget and untar in new location)?

If not, just download files from your old host to your computer, then upload to the new host. Remember to change any DB connection details if your new DB login is different. As mentioned though, the DB is the most important thing - if you have phpMyAdmin on both, you'll be fine

HTH

Last edited by clook; Nov 02, 2002 at 02:42 PM.