CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 23, 2002, 07:43 PM
Veteran

Question Replacing Win 98 system files ??

sponsored links

Over time, my system files have become corrupt, newer versions have been automatically overwritten by older versions by install programs that don't ask, etc.

Now my system is performing like $**t ... constant crashes, can't run DOS from windows, etc. I simply want to update my system files but have been unable to find a place for the updates. MS would be the obvious answer, but I can't find a thing there. can't reinstall over the old Win 98 either I guess.

Can anyone please offer some assistance on this? TIA

*EDIT: guess I should also mention that some of my backup system fiels are corrupt so the standard method won't do.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 07:49 PM
Banned

I suggest you format and do a clean install, that'd be the best thing to do to get the best performance.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 08:29 PM
Veteran

thanx for the suggestion m8, but I could have figured that out. hehe

The LAST option for anyone having problems is to reformat. I have too many programs and too much data on this PC to reformat. Sometime in the near future, I'll be getting a new HDD and will then install XP or Win 2K on that ... but in the meantime, I want to FIX my current problems ... not create a whole new world of work.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 08:35 PM
Banned

Opps, my bad. You could also try installing Win 98 over your current installation, don't format or anything, just reinstall it, it should repair your corrupted files by overwritting your current ones with the originals. I believe I've done this with a Clients computer before.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 08:42 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Post System Files

If your System files are corrupt, why not just go to :

Start=>Run=>SFC (System File Check)

If you have your cd handy, run the check, and if there are any missing or corrupt files, it will prompt you about replacing them.

I know Win98 SE has SFC, but I can't remember if Win98 has it as well. It's worth a try.

dustie
Old Sep 23, 2002, 08:44 PM
Banned

Thank you for that tip Dustie I did not know that, I guess you learn something new every day