CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Default Problems with Broardband

sponsored links

if im online an my phone rings, as soon as i answer the phone my online connection gets cut off.
I have just upgraded from dialup to broardband so i can use the phone at the same time as pc.
is this normal? as i thought that you could use both at the same time.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

No it's not normal and you should be able to use the phone at the same time unrestricted.

I would check with your ISP and/or get your phone line checked and make sure it's compatible.

BTW, not that it makes any difference to using your phone, but do you have cable broadband or DSL (through your phone line)?

Last edited by Insomniac; Mar 13, 2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:09 PM
Veteran

You did install filters on the phone lines, right?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:14 PM
Veteran

Not using filters won't cause the internet connection to be severed when the phone rings.

You can still speak on the phone without filters, you just get a lot of "noise" similar to the noise a dial-up modem or fax makes.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:23 PM
Veteran

You gots alot to learn my young newbie.

As DSL shares the same line as your telephone, there is always going to always be interference. The DSL modem uses a higher frequency band then your ****og phone. But there is still a small marginal overlap in the frequency band. The point of the filter is to get rid of this problem. When your phone rings, a signal is sent down along the low ****og frequency band, and like I mentioned earlier, with a small frequency overlap that singal might reach into the DSL band which will cause problems. A filter helps cure this.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:35 PM
Veteran

I realise how it works WizBit, but it still doesn't explain why it's cutting off the internet connection.

I can use my phone without a filter and both work fine, except I get line noise during the phone call.

Certainly doesn't cut the internet connection off, and if anything it should be the call that gets cut off and not the internet as that is always on and uses a different bandwith.

It may depend on the exchange and technology used, but here I can use both without a filter.