CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 09, 2006, 05:19 PM

Default CD writer not able to read the discs it wrote...

sponsored links

I have a compaq presario 2500 with the cd-rom/writer/dvd-rom it came with. The rom has stopped reading most cd-r and cd-rw, even discs it wrote. These cds are readable in my old Aptiva so I know it is not a problem with the cd's. I have tried many and actually managed to read a couple but most don't work. I cannot find any pattern as to the ones that work or don't work. When I put a cd in the drive, it will spin it up and then most times it looks like a blank cd with no space left (I mean it doesn't show any files but appears full if you look in its properties). I can burn discs and then read them in another machine and it will read DVDs ok but not cd-r's, it seems weird to me. Logic makes me feel like if it was an alignment problem or dirty laser that the writer shouldn't work or the DVD reader either. I can only see one head when I open the tray. Any ideas?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:32 PM

Default Possibilities

I believe that it could quite possibly need to be cleaned and balanced. I had a problem once with my dvd rom reading only my dvd's, of course I could put any other type of disc in there, and it would read and install them perfectly. On a whim, I put my cd/dvd laser lens cleaner in there, (I actually had to run the cleaning disc thru several times) and from then on it worked great!

It sure can't hurt to try!!

Hope this helps. . .

I just wanted to add, that if cleaning doesn't help. . . do you use the same read/write software in both computers? That can also be an issue sometimes. . .
Old Jan 13, 2006, 07:34 PM

I dont think this is hardware related this is actually a common problem but tracking the cause can be a hit or miss, usually its software.

What burning software are you using to burn the discs and is it on Windows XP the problem happens. Probably not the cause but would give a better understanding knowing what you are using.

A Corrupt ASPI Layer can also cause this> See [URL=***********.cd-burner-help.com/aspi-layer.htm]ASPI Layer Help

I would also suggest trying some different brands of CD-R's and see if that solves the problem.

Also make sure you have any anti-virus or scanner programs disabled.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:25 PM

Default Further......

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response. I bought a cd cleaner disk and went throught the steps a few times. I am running Widows XP and I am using Nero. Whatever this problem is..... it just started a couple weeks ago. I can't read the same CD's that I could read a few weeks ago. ASPI is not installed according to NERO. I now believe that the read lens is getting weak. I can read commercial cds but not all burnt ones. I have one burnt cd that reads good still. I wonder if it is able to read ones writen at slower speeds although I am not sure. Going to do a little experiment to test theory.