CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 07, 2006, 12:01 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Here`s the gospel, as I predicted years ago and as people are now finding out.
Film negatives and photographs, when stored in reasonable conditions, will last a hundred years and more.
Digital photographs (in fact any data) on recordable cd or dvd, regardless of how you store them, will probably last a maximum of twenty years.
The maximum storage time will be reduced by the following factors..
>Quality of the media used, how it has been stored prior to use and after use.
>The type and age of your burner (laser condition, mechanical errors etc)
>The software and driver combination.
To say that TDK are the best is a tad naiive. You`ll find that they come from a factory that makes dozens of different brands.
I have lost countless cd-rs full of data, some only a year or so old (didn`t know the burner was dying at the time), yet I have movies on VHS which are still watchable 20-years on.
I use my digital camera for convenience but I`ve dusted off my old 35mm SLR film camera ready for this year`s summer hols!
Old Feb 07, 2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Holmes
Secondly how do I print direct to a disc?? Doesn't it damage them as they go around the roller??
For that you need a specific cd printer like the Epson (pretty cheap) or the Prima (very to outlandishly expensive).

I have the Epson R200 (newer models than that are out now). It uses a tray that you place the "printable" CD in, holds it in place, and it slides the tray in as the print heads lay the ink down. The rollers don't touch the disc. You need specially coated "inkjet printable" CD blanks for this. They come in white or clear coated. The coating is layed on the surface during manufacturing and I don't think the ink is going to pass through them.

Still, I only use the printable cds for my needle-drop recordings (recording my vinyl records through my computer and making an audio CD-R of it). I'll make a label that represents the original record label of that album and it looks cool. I'll also use the printable CD-Rs for compilations. Taiyo Yuden and MAM-A both make printable CD-Rs. I use the Taiyo Yudens.

For regular data, I still use Taiyo Yudens, but not the printable kind, just a regular ruled label that I can write on with a CD-R pen. I actually buy the Maxell Pro line which is made by Taiyo Yuden (look for "made in Japan" on the wrapping).

Joel