CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 08, 2003, 04:30 PM
Veteran

Default Can I make an image

sponsored links

After reformatting my HDD today, I remembered just how much of a pain it was to install all my drivers for all my devices.

Once I get my system running proper again, can I make a recovery cd with alll the drivers to save all the hassle?

Someone said something about a ghost image

What is this??

Cheers
Old Apr 08, 2003, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Mr. [url=***********.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ghost+image+&btnG=Google+Search]Google
Old Apr 09, 2003, 10:36 AM
Veteran

[b]Ghost[/b]

Creates an image of your current hdd's partiton/s,complete drive and stores it in a file format that can be 'restored' to original state. In other words you copy your os/apps/games etc to an image and then if you have a problem like the one you highlighted above you simply restore your system to it's previous state.

You could make an image which can be stored on CDR/w's or on another partition or hdd,however if you plan on making an image that you want to fit onto a CDR/W you will need to [b] Span[/b] the image across more than one disc.

I make a regular 'backup' to image of my main 'c' partition say every week so that if I loose my system I only loose one weeks worth of work. It's saved my neck several times.

Take the time to read up on Ghost and I would also suggest at least version 2002 if you're running XP.

Smiffy
Old Apr 09, 2003, 10:51 AM
Veteran

Cheers for the info

I plan to copy it to DVDR.

Wish I had done it sooner
Old Apr 09, 2003, 11:14 AM
Veteran

No probs m8, at least it gives you the opportunity to 'Experiment' and know that you can restore the system with no hassle's.

Smiffy
Old Apr 09, 2003, 12:04 PM

There is also something similar PS2Wiz posted a question about a few months ago about slipstreaming drivers (Makes you think about that episode of Star Trek Voyager?) so that all the drivers that you need installed can be installed while installing windows. This is for windows XP, but there should be one for Win2k around somewhere I assume. This is a little advanced, but it sure does make reinstalling windows a breeze now.

Easy Cd Creator Version
[URL=***********.etplanet.com/download/guides/easycdcreator.html]***********.etplanet.com/download/guides/easycdcreator.html
Nero Version
[URL=***********.etplanet.com/download/guides/nero.html]***********.etplanet.com/download/guides/nero.html

And the original thread was here:
[URL=***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=233914]***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=233914