CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 03, 2002, 03:31 AM

Default Sony unvails new type of media in use for the future of DVD and Ps3

sponsored links

Here is the article copied striaght from PSM

The future of DVD has a color, and it is blue. Recently revealed at a Sony tech showcase in Japan, the so-called Blu-Ray- DVD format is part of a multi-company effort, whcih includes PS2 partner Toshiba, and promises to make the current DVD format look like the data-storing equivalent of a thimble in comparison.

The format is still a way off even in its video-only form, but its nevertheless in the official running (against what else we dont know) for the data storage medium used by PS3

The potential is impressive to say the least. Since it is rewritable, PS3 wouldn;t necessarily need a hard disk drive like the one Ps2's going to be getting each game disc could simply have its own writable space. Of course, blank disks could always be used for downloading content from the Internet or for using PS3 like a TiVo to record Tv programming.

There's also word this month that PS3 not just be limited to the console domain. A spokesman for Sony went on record saying the Ps3 could take the form of an operating system that could run a variety of devices allowing them to play Ps3 games.
So instead of a Playstation with DVD capabilites, you might have a DVD player with playstion capabilities.

<END>

So that article caught my eye when i first saw it. Possibility that sony could kill piracy from its system ?? What i think sony will unvail is a new way to get games. Instead of buying a game from a store. You might be able to dirrectly download a game (or DVD) to the disk from the store via uplink station because my speculation is that the disk can cost 100 bux at least because of the space on it.

So 20 gigs on each side (2 sides) means 40 gigs so there is enough for 7 full DVD movies and possibly more than 1 game per disk. So is it worth it to download a game from the net that is like 20 gigs. ??

Just a speculation guys. Post what you think

What do u guys think.
Old Nov 03, 2002, 08:13 AM
Veteran

I think this isn't important, not yet at least. The ps3 aint out, and from what I hear it wont be till like 2005 or 2006. Then we can worry about that. lets just enjoy the ps2 for now.
Old Nov 03, 2002, 08:26 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Crescendoll [/i]
[B]I think this isn't important, not yet at least. The ps3 aint out, and from what I hear it wont be till like 2005 or 2006. Then we can worry about that. lets just enjoy the ps2 for now. [/B]
my sentiments exactly. why worry about something thats literally years away?
Old Nov 03, 2002, 08:32 AM
Banned

thats years 2 come
Old Nov 03, 2002, 04:01 PM
Veteran

I can't wait for that disk. Think of how many movies can fit on that disk, and for gaming, the game saves can be written dorectly on the disk.

That will be a good disk for developers
Old Nov 03, 2002, 06:19 PM

yeah but my point is that this could eliminate the ps3 to be hacked because of the disk.

Only a speculation and yes i am enjoying my Ps2