CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jul 02, 2002, 03:33 AM
Veteran

Default A site is closing, is there anything that can be done

sponsored links

There is a site i know and love which is closing, like this one its main part is the message boards. Its nuthinn 2 do with computers or backups or anything.
The owner has to pay $700 a month, im not entirely sure of the bandwidth the site uses, there are only about 2000 members on the board
Basically, the sites gonna close by 6th July unless sumthin is done
Altho it might be too late now, is there anything the owner could do to reduce costs? Its on a dedicated server with 150gb bacndwidth i think, and $700 a month as i said. Is there a way of limiting users at peak periods liek this site used to? Or spreading the load onto 2 servers? Anything? lol

Any ideas are appreciated...the site has 50,000 visitors a day, im sure this site has more. How much a month does this site cost?
Old Jul 02, 2002, 04:17 AM
Veteran

If it is a graphics heavy site, by reducing the quality of the graphics or removing them if they're not really needed, quiet a bit of bandwidth will be saved.

No idea about costs, but it costs me $30 a month for 16gb bandwidth, but that's not a dedicated server.

Craig
Old Jul 02, 2002, 07:26 AM
Veteran

well on the message board side of things, its not really very graphic, and posting pictures has been banned for a while
But the actualy site probably has hundreds and hundreds of images on, loads of image gallerys u see

also, why is it so essential to have a dedicated server? surely if ur paying for the bandwidth anyway it dont matter
Or would it just not cope with high traffic?

Last edited by chimpuk; Jul 02, 2002 at 07:35 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2002, 08:07 PM

It would have to be dedicated because the load of the server would affect other web sites.. this would increase the cost. They perhaps should find a better web host / internet company that might do things cheaper.
Closed Thread